The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

885speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, here's a question I can't seem to find any info on no matter how much I search. I might be searching for the wrong keywords, but anyways..

My 97 C1500 has grey cloth captains chairs, the drivers side flip down arm rest is pretty trashed and I'd like to fix it up.
Can't find any matching repro's, just crappy looking vinyl slip on covers.
I can figure something out as far as the fabric to use and rebuilding the foam inside..

But how the hell do I get those arm rests off?

After multiple searches all I can find is on how to take apart the NBS ones and from what I can sort out its a different in the way they attach to the seats.
My OE seat covers are actually in really nice shape considering the age and 280k+ miles driven, so I'd like to not mess them up in the process.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s how to remove them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Best guess is that the cloth ones are glued to the foam like the leather ones are, so removal probably results in demolition.

An upholstery shop could be an option, but keep an eye on eBay and junkyards as well.

Car-part.com is a good salvage yard search engine. They typically include photos of the vehicles which helps.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
One trick I found for headrests is to wrap the foam headrest with a black trash bag and use a vacuum cleaner to colapse the foam. Then the headrest slides right on. You have to leave the bag under the upholstery but its worth it

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys, this here is a two parter.
My truck is a 95 GMC c1500 w/t. So, my radio is bare bones an/fm (at least I have fm, I guess, right?). I want to put in the tape head with CD slave. If I get both units, with the connection cable between the two, will it fit right in, and will I have security issues?

Second question is, I see there's a thread for adding aux to the unit. Would the procedure be the same for adding Bluetooth?

Another thought I just had... Could one add XM similarly? Without having the stupid separate xm deal? Like add XM to the unit. Not just having xm in my truck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dave K2500

Reaction score
I have do a forum search , and found a few threads that are helpful.

But , what I would like to find is a parts type drawing of the ashtray assembly .

as I repair ( JB Weld ) a broken hinge pin ( ? ) and hopefully that's all.
You must be registered for see images attach

thank you for any help

ps - the truck 1995 Chevy K2500

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried plasti-dipping the armrests? I have an '89 and I'm not willing to pay $60 each for armrests. I was wondering if plasti-dip would be a suitable replacement for the factory plastic that's warped and cracked. Alternatively, I'm tempted to try building armrests out of 18 gauge wrapped in vinyl.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's a lot more work. I don't have a sheet metal brake yet, so I'll be hand-forming over the edge of my bench with a little hammer.

Dave K2500

Reaction score

In the process , of repairing my broken ashtray assembly.
and at the point of replacing a burned out ashtray light .....................if I could find it.

any direction is welcome