Chasing Interior Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heat up around the edge of the plate with a propane torch and the sealer will soften up enough to remove with out bending it out of shape. BTDT
And burn off the paint?
I was able to remove mine with careful prying and getting a sharpened putty knife under the edge.

HipsterDriver

Reaction score
Update. Leak has been fixed! I ended up pulling the whole quarter panel off to seal the whole front corner of the cab. There were many leaks but the one that was hardest to track down turned out to be coming from the top passenger corner of the windshield and running all the way down the a pillar (out of sight, until I pulled the trim off and sat in the truck during a rain storm) until it pooled in the bottom. It seemed to be where the windshield trim makes the transition from being curled over the glass, to being extended out on the side, roughly an inch or two in on the top edge from the corner of the windshield (kind of hard to explain but hopefully that makes sense). I just forced some seam sealer in where the hole was and also re-sealed the metal joint on the a pillar. Hopefully this helps someone else out there.

Attachments

• IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 18

monsterwake

Reaction score
HipsterDrive
Update. Leak has been fixed! I ended up pulling the whole quarter panel off to seal the whole front corner of the cab. There were many leaks but the one that was hardest to track down turned out to be coming from the top passenger corner of the windshield and running all the way down the a pillar (out of sight, until I pulled the trim off and sat in the truck during a rain storm) until it pooled in the bottom. It seemed to be where the windshield trim makes the transition from being curled over the glass, to being extended out on the side, roughly an inch or two in on the top edge from the corner of the windshield (kind of hard to explain but hopefully that makes sense). I just forced some seam sealer in where the hole was and also re-sealed the metal joint on the a pillar. Hopefully this helps someone else out there.
What sealer did you use?

monsterwake

Reaction score
Thank you. I now found that the hood release cable gromet was not pulled all the way through the firewall. I have corrected that and now testing.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you remember the VW ad where the guy runs a bug off a pier and is floating while claiming the VW is the most water tight vehicle on the market. I remember another ad where they hose a truck down with fire hoses and claim nary a drop got inside. If I recollect that was a Ford commercial. I seriously doubt a T400 would float but GM should have done the fire hose test.

BVRPLZR

Reaction score
Posting to congratulate you on your good fortune with fixing the leak.

I too hope to seal all my leaks one day :bawl:
My van feels more like a wrangler with the doors off than a van sometimes

monsterwake

Reaction score
Lots of rain last night and this morning. Good test. I will check it out when I get home. Fingers crossed.