The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I got this;

Vortec heads take the R44LTS plugs. He's fine.

Mix a 50/50 mix of Windex and water and spray the wires and coil and distributor cap when it is as dark as possible. The mix will help you to see any arcing happening. It probably needs some dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Vortec plug depth was longer than TBI, I was under the impression the manufacturers made them longer reach so they wouldn't strip out in aluminum heads. I guess that stands to reason since they're still taper seat and not flat gasket - learn something new every day :biggrin:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this;

Mix a 50/50 mix of Windex and water and spray the wires and coil and distributor cap when it is as dark as possible. The mix will help you to see any arcing happening. It probably needs some dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots.
Awesome. Thank you. I'll try it and see what happens:)

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this;

is the r44lts a copper plug? what's the platinum equivalent?

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
So im still chasing my... Misfire? Always shakin thr dash at 1750 rpm. Get it over 2000 it runs like a ***** ape. Ive heard the oem distributors can go to crap. Well thats what i used but with new gear, cap, rotot and cam sensor. Only code i get is for drivers side o2 sensor readin low while im @1750 rpm. It sucks cuz that's pretty much cruisin rpm. Get out on open road @70mph n motor is smooth as silk. Anywhere else i should look?

Chevyboy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im still chasing my... Misfire? Always shakin thr dash at 1750 rpm. Get it over 2000 it runs like a ***** ape. Ive heard the oem distributors can go to crap. Well thats what i used but with new gear, cap, rotot and cam sensor. Only code i get is for drivers side o2 sensor readin low while im @1750 rpm. It sucks cuz that's pretty much cruisin rpm. Get out on open road @70mph n motor is smooth as silk. Anywhere else i should look?
I had a similar issue a few years back, and mine was the distributor not working correctly, and somethign about that 1750-2000rpm range, same as yours would make it really show up. And if I stayed under it or passed it up, it would "behave". Mine never through an error for it I don't believe either except also having a perpetual O2 sensor error from time to time depending on the season.

moosecup

Reaction score
Hey folks, anyone know the pitch/size for the bolt that holds the oil dipstick tube to the motor?

96 w/ 5.7L Vortec

Thank you!

mbh87

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where this plug goes? Looks like a ground, have no codes present.
You must be registered for see images attach

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a slight stutter under acceleration. It kinda just pops along until it feels like it starts getting gas and takes off. Maybe a bad fuel pump?L 96 4.3l 5sp.