The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well,not sure about AC Delco belts. This is what I can tell you about the cheap belts though. The belt on my 97 was getting bad, so I got a cheap belt from AutoZone. Belt was squeezing after no time at all. The maintainace supervisor on the oil rig I was working on told me, to go get a Gates belt. I said yes, but it's 3 times the price. He said yeah I know, but it's worth the money, and it won't squeal. So I did, and that was 7 or 8 years ago. The belt still looks grate after all of this time. Still no squeak at all. Gate is made from better material than the cheap belts are.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a squeaky belt problem it doesn’t like the cold nor 60ish mornings as it’s been then shoots up to the 80s here in the dirty mitten. Lol so I’ve changed the belt dealer bought, the tensioner ive used soap to quickly quiet it down but I’m over doing that! Especially when it’s not been squeaking for some time now? Now it’s bak so belt is just over a year old and I can’t stand to hear it squeak!!! So should I buy a new tensioner or lube it up with something not on the belt groves of course anyone have this problem? Thanks
Check your pulleys that are smooth for black deposits from those cheap belts and clean them off with fine sandpaper 600-800 grit. That was what caused our problem on our 89 2500 with a 5.7L.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not on these trucks, but I have some of the little sleeves on my Monte Carlo. They seem to work OK.
Awesome. My question this , can they produce static whenever the engine firing? Not arcing but like a super dim light you can barely see at night?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome. My question this , can they produce static whenever the engine firing? Not arcing but like a super dim light you can barely see at night?

I've never seen anything like that, but then again I've never really looked either. Next time the Monte is running at night I'll check.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that, but then again I've never really looked either. Next time the Monte is running at night I'll check.
Awesome. I feel like I'm going crazy lol. Kinda like a blanket that comes out of a drier and produces static and you can see it in a dark room... kinda like that. I did an oil change last night and saw like super super dim reflecting light inside my boot. I know it sounds wierd or like arcing. I'm gonna run a test just to make sure I'm not missing. For sure theres no lines like lighting, it's more of a dim light you can barely see. I'll post some pics of my set up

Attachments

• 20210730_155713.jpg
    20210730_155713.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210730_155720.jpg
    20210730_155720.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 18

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome. I feel like I'm going crazy lol. Kinda like a blanket that comes out of a drier and produces static and you can see it in a dark room... kinda like that. I did an oil change last night and saw like super super dim reflecting light inside my boot. I know it sounds wierd or like arcing. I'm gonna run a test just to make sure I'm not missing. For sure theres no lines like lighting, it's more of a dim light you can barely see. I'll post some pics of my set up
Them some sexy manifolds.

Could the dim light be the plugs glowing from heat build-up? I've never seen the light that was described earlier in the thread.