The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I didn't know Vortec plug depth was longer than TBI, I was under the impression the manufacturers made them longer reach so they wouldn't strip out in aluminum heads. I guess that stands to reason since they're still taper seat and not flat gasket - learn something new every day :biggrin:
I answer spark plug questions all the time. It's a real benefit having the vendor catalogs and the Summit website handy!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil Filter Adapter -- can I pull this off without draining the oil??
I have the transmission out and would like to replace this gasket while access is easy, but I dont need/want to do an oil change right now.
k1500 1997 Suburban

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Oil Filter Adapter -- can I pull this off without draining the oil??
I have the transmission out and would like to replace this gasket while access is easy, but I dont need/want to do an oil change right now.
k1500 1997 Suburban
Sure can! You will lose some oil so be prepared. Whenever I'm fooling around in that area I always screw on a new filter. I did that on Frank recently and gained 15-20 psi at the gauge!

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello People, Am I thinking wrong about my high mileage 93 GMC, 3500, 454, 256,000 miles, it's using alot of oil, good compression, new valva seals, no leaks i've seen, so i'm at the thoughts of rebuilding it because I think it's blowing it past the rings, intake, heads something in there, does that sound like a good plan. Thank's all for thinking with me.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello People, Am I thinking wrong about my high mileage 93 GMC, 3500, 454, 256,000 miles, it's using alot of oil, good compression, new valva seals, no leaks i've seen, so i'm at the thoughts of rebuilding it because I think it's blowing it past the rings, intake, heads something in there, does that sound like a good plan. Thank's all for thinking with me.
If a compression test came up good then I doubt it's the rings or valves. I would be looking at the valve seals again and possibly the rear main. Depending on how well sealed your torque converter/transmission bell housing cover is, you may have oil leaking there and oil trapped inside. My son's 2500 with 5.7L was so crudded up with dirt that when I removed the covers to check the seal, it dumped nearly 2 quarts of oil out. It was showing some oil wetness but no severe leak until I removed the cover. also check the oil pan and dipstick area where it goes into the engine. Other possibilities are the valve covers themselves and possibly the rear of the intake leaking oil. Has the PVC valves and hoses been changed in the past few months? That could be another issue causing oil burn. A clogged or partial blocked air filter can cause excessive vacuum inside the air filter housing which can put the crank case under negative pressure and pull oil mist out which over time cause the engine to burn a lot of oil.

Having partially rebuilt an engine recently, I can say that unless you have a local machine shop with excellent pricing, you'd be better off going with a re-manufactured long block rather than a rebuild unless you plan to cut corners.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly what volume is attached to "a lot" of oil and what is the PSI defined as "good compression"? What oil are you running and what is the oil pressure? My guess would be rings at that mileage, but fixing things based on guesses can be very expensive.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked at all those problem sites, not leaking onto the ground that iv'e seen because it's dry under the motor, I have not done a leak down test yet, and a good or higher compression you can still blow oil past the oil rings because a wet cylinder will have a higher compression. I was looking at it like high mileage and a big block and it was worked hard before I got it a rebuild couldn't hurt it. Thank you all and I will let you know what I find when I tear into it.