The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Here's a stupid ******* question lol; how hard would it be to build up a 98 5L to feel like a stock 5.7L of the same year? I know this is pointless on paper but I'm having a really hard time finding a 350 block in good condition around me, let alone a running engine. Not set on doing anything yet, just trying to get a feel for what's possible

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which part is the valve stem?
Is that the smooth part on top of the spring?
Yes the valve stem is what the rocker arm rides on which depresses it to open the valve. If it's too far off it'll put undue side force and wear the guide and seal out prematurely.

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the valve stem is what the rocker arm rides on which depresses it to open the valve. If it's too far off it'll put undue side force and wear the guide and seal out prematurely.

Awesome I'll look into it. So run my finger on it or do a visual look at it? I'll try to snap some pics but in case it doesn't come out good jw best way to find it. The roller feels smooth btw

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So run my finger on it or do a visual look at it?
You shouldn't be able to feel it. The rocker arm just polishes in the wear pattern that you'll be able to see like in my picture (the straight line going across the top of the stem). It should be in the center or, very close to center.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You shouldn't be able to feel it. The rocker arm just polishes in the wear pattern that you'll be able to see like in my picture (the straight line going across the top of the stem). It should be in the center or, very close to center.

Awesome thanks a million. I'll look at it when I get home

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ok update. Feel the stem and its smooth. Has a shiny pattern. Nothing crazy. The only thing I see with heavy wear is the rocker arm internally and the ball that wears in the rocker arm. Push rod slightly bent. I'll go ahead and replace that when I jump in. Do you know the torque setting of the rocker stud? Is it like 75/80 ftIbs?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I see with heavy wear is the rocker arm internally and the ball that wears in the rocker arm
Well, you can always go with "full roller" rockers which have needle bearings in the pivot too.

Do you know the torque setting of the rocker stud?
You need to see what size the stud is and look up torque specs or reach out to the manufacturer of you heads, get your stud from them and ask for specs.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, you can always go with "full roller" rockers which have needle bearings in the pivot too.

You need to see what size the stud is and look up torque specs or reach out to the manufacturer of you heads, get your stud from them and ask for specs.

Where do they brand the heads?