The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have poly locks you can or just loosen the nut.

Yes, do that 1st so you can see which one is loose and when setting valve lash. You still want to find the one(s) that is/are the culprit(s). It may or may not be obvious just looking at them.

Since it sounds like piston 2 or 4. If I grab the rod should it have play or should it be pretty much snug that can twist a little?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The push rod shouldn't have any up/down play in it. When adjusted properly it should be seated in the lifter and lightly compressing the return spring inside it. If it's been tapping loud enough to hear, you should be able to tell which one fairly easily.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The push rod shouldn't have any up/down play in it. When adjusted properly it should be seated in the lifter and lightly compressing the return spring inside it. If it's been tapping loud enough to hear, you should be able to tell which one fairly easily.

Ok ill keep you posted. Thanks for the help and tips.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This happened on my way home... what are my options?

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer! Looks like your rocker studs are threaded not pressed in. See if you can order another one and replace it. You still need to ensure nothing else is damaged or the lifter is collapsed.

Edit; that probably explains why it was tapping, the stud partially broke and bent so the rocker arm got loose, maybe?

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been there, it sucks! I don't know what type of heads you have, but be prepared in case the stud hole is drilled through to the coolant jacket. Most are not, but it is possible depending on the head.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like the set screw hardly threads into the main body of the adjuster nut.

Appears that the stud broke at the very bottom thread.

First Guess: Rocker studs too long.

How does the end of that pushrod look "in real life"? Looks rough as hell in the photo.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a busted pedestal? I was gonna buy 8 but wanted to get what I need? Just one of those things that I'm not sure what the parts are called.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no "pedestal". This is a stud-based system. You broke the stud.

Is the rocker ball scored? How about the socket in the rocker arm--both the rocker ball socket and the pushrod socket?

Is the pushrod tip scored, too?

IF those studs are too long--and that's how it appears to me--you'd want to measure the length from where it sits on the head, to the tip of the stud (i.e., NOT the part that screws into the head.) and post here. The studs are available in several lengths.

Another possibility is that the long adjuster nut is too short. Either way--long stud or short nut--the set screw should be fully inside the nut instead of sticking out the top of the nut.

Is there ANY indication of contact between the adjuster nut and the inside surface of the rocker arm?

Last edited: