1990 c1500 Engine Upgrade Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought the truck from my friend ik him and his dad paid a shop $4500 for a fresh rebuild the truck turns over perfectly and is healthy but thanks so much ill try and look into a cam with a lower duration then bu chance is there any cam you can point me in i tried looking for the cam you said but all i can find is this Lunati #LUN-20510710LK
Ouch! That's a pricey cam kit. Decent RPM range but really not that great.
You stated the motor is pretty fresh so I'm guessing they put new lifters in it. You don't need roller lifters,you need good oil to run flat tappets.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You stated the motor is pretty fresh so I'm guessing they put new lifters in it. You don't need roller lifters,you need good oil to run flat tappets.
^^^This, if it were me, I'd always buy new lifters with a new cam. Make sure you break it in properly!

JGM350

Reaction score
I'm running the Lunati 20080720. You'll probably have to call them directly to get one.

But I'm just some internet rando. If you don't understand cam specs, don't trust any of us fools. Call your favorite cam company and talk with them!

There's a lot more to buying a cam than picking one off Summit's website. What's your compression ratio? What heads are you running? How good is your exhaust? What fuel system are you running? How heavy is the vehicle? Where does your converter stall?
you have been very helpful thank you for taking time out of your day i am only 22 with basic knowledge so ill keep all this in mind when moving forward

JGM350

Reaction score
Ouch! That's a pricey cam kit. Decent RPM range but really not that great.
thanks for your input i see that the cam is a problem by chance can ypu point me towards a good cam?

JGM350

Reaction score
^^^This, if it were me, I'd always buy new lifters with a new cam. Make sure you break it in properly!
thank you and ive seen your post around where i see your getting rid of your tbi have you considered a carb swap with a 600cfm? how would that preform ive been considering it

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see your getting rid of your tbi have you considered a carb swap with a 600cfm? how would that preform ive been considering it
IDK where you got that from, I'm running a Bored 46mm (650 CFM) TB with a 20LB spring on my "383" up to 5,800 RPM with 12.5 AFR on my WBO2. If anything, I may go to a 2" TB off a 7.4L. I am against running an archaic toilet bowl on top when I can run a computer controlled one. :biggrin:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If,,,,they put in new lifters and the motor has no more than 3000 miles on since,those lifters are still in new condition. It takes thousands of miles for the faces of lifters to start to bowl. If he is worried about it that much his lifters can be refaced,probably would need a max of .002" taken off. My Sioux valve grinding machine has the stone and holder for trimming the stems which also is used to face lifters.

JGM350

Reaction score
IDK where you got that from, I'm running a Bored 46mm (650 CFM) TB with a 20LB spring on my "383" up to 5,800 RPM with 12.5 AFR on my WBO2. If anything, I may go to a 2" TB off a 7.4L. I am against running an archaic toilet bowl on top when I can run a computer controlled one. :biggrin:
ahh i see apologies i saw tbi to hei as a title and assumed you were switching is there anything you can recommend as far as upgrading the tbi unit then on a 350 ?

JGM350

Reaction score
If,,,,they put in new lifters and the motor has no more than 3000 miles on since,those lifters are still in new condition. It takes thousands of miles for the faces of lifters to start to bowl. If he is worried about it that much his lifters can be refaced,probably would need a max of .002" taken off. My Sioux valve grinding machine has the stone and holder for trimming the stems which also is used to face lifters.
ok i see thank you ill try and post later this week with a new revision on how to build my truck.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh i see apologies i saw tbi to hei as a title and assumed you were switching is there anything you can recommend as far as upgrading the tbi unit then on a 350 ?
That will require a manifold or have yours bored and tuning. Not bad things at all. You are going to have to tune anyway with a cam change.