The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I think I got lucky so far. I got the pedestal out. Now I'm just trying to figure out what part and brands these are

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no "pedestal". This is a stud-based system. You broke the stud.

Is the rocker ball scored? How about the socket in the rocker arm--both the rocker ball socket and the pushrod socket?

Is the pushrod tip scored, too?

IF those studs are too long--and that's how it appears to me--you'd want to measure the length from where it sits on the head, to the tip of the stud (i.e., NOT the part that screws into the head.) and post here. The studs are available in several lengths.

Another possibility is that the long adjuster nut is too short. Either way--long stud or short nut--the set screw should be fully inside the nut instead of sticking out the top of the nut.

Is there ANY indication of contact between the adjuster nut and the inside surface of the rocker arm?

So to me the most parts look scored. Except for pushrod. However I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the other questions I asked?

That's what I'm looking at right now. How would I know if there too long? What part am I measuring?
Horrible pics. But one side of pushrod is shiny and other end has a silver wear line.no lip or mushroom

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Schurkey, post: 1128211, member: 20355"]There is no "pedestal". This is a stud-based system. You broke the stud.

Lol my bad but I appreciate the correct names I need to learn this

Is the rocker ball scored? How about the socket in the rocker arm--both the rocker ball socket and the pushrod socket?

What part is that?
Is the pushrod tip scored, too?

Looks shiny not anything crazy

IF those studs are too long--and that's how it appears to me--you'd want to measure the length from where it sits on the head, to the tip of the stud (i.e., NOT the part that screws into the head.) and post here. The studs are available in several lengths.

How can I measure this? I get what your saying but one end on the head and the other end is where the adjuster nut would screw too? Meaning I need to remove the Allen bolt and adjuster nut of a good one to measure. I try to send an example of the broken one

Another possibility is that the long adjuster nut is too short. Either way--long stud or short nut--the set screw should be fully inside the nut instead of sticking out the top of the nut.

Is there ANY indication of contact between the adjuster nut and the inside surface of the rocker arm?
[

To find this I just look inside the rocker?[/QUOTE]

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm looking at right now. How would I know if there too long? What part am I measuring?
How many threads of the locking screw are in the nut? General rule of thumb is at least the diameter of the nut.

But one side of pushrod is shiny and other end has a silver wear line.no lip or mushroom
The way these are designed is the lifter is a little off center to the cam lobe, to make it rotate while running, which in turn, causes the push rod to rotate too. So, if you have even wear on both ends of the push rod and, it's straight (roll it on a flat surface to see), then they're probably OK. Do you see even wear, in the center, on the top of the valve stem? This means your push rod length is correct. If not, that can cause your rocker arm studs to appear to be too short or long depending on push rod length.

As it looks in your pics, as @Schurkey said your studs (or your push rods IMO maybe) are too short.

Here's a pic of one with the wear just a tad off center, YMMV

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many threads of the locking screw are in the nut? General rule of thumb is at least the diameter of the nut.

The way these are designed is the lifter is a little off center to the cam lobe, to make it rotate while running, which in turn, causes the push rod to rotate too. So, if you have even wear on both ends of the push rod and, it's straight (roll it on a flat surface to see), then they're probably OK. Do you see even wear, in the center, on the top of the valve stem? This means your push rod length is correct. If not, that can cause your rocker arm studs to appear to be too short or long depending on push rod length.

As it looks in your pics, as @Schurkey said your studs (or your push rods IMO maybe) are too short.

Here's a pic of one with the wear just a tad off center, YMMV

So theres 5 threads that went in. Which is little more then half the locking nut.

Which part is the valve stem?
Is that the smooth part on top of the spring?

Your set up look totally different lol

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only and always notice this voltage drop when using my blinkers. 95 Silverado. Anything to worry about? Blinker relay going bad?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media