The Shock Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are the rear springs I have: https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/22-909hd.htm
They are stiff. I bought them because I regularly have a 550 lb motorcycle + 80 lb hitch hauler on the back, and even with all that, the rear suspension only sags about an inch. With nothing on the back...it's stiff. Shocks are critical because the suspension moves so little that you need aggressive damping to make sure what movement there is is actually well damped, and the Hotchkis shocks seem to do that very well so far. Most stock shocks are going to rely on having more displacement to control the suspension activity. I can't speak to any other impala SS shocks for damping ability, but if you try them, get the stiffest ones you can find.

Alternatively, you could try some softer Chevy Express shocks...they're longer, and the Bilstein Express shocks I tried initially are way too stiff when unloaded, but something softer than the bilsteins may work well if you can handle the 14" compressed length.

I don't have pics of my homemade bracket, but can grab some when I get home later this week.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are the rear springs I have: https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/22-909hd.htm
They are stiff. I bought them because I regularly have a 550 lb motorcycle + 80 lb hitch hauler on the back, and even with all that, the rear suspension only sags about an inch. With nothing on the back...it's stiff. Shocks are critical because the suspension moves so little that you need aggressive damping to make sure what movement there is is actually well damped, and the Hotchkis shocks seem to do that very well so far. Most stock shocks are going to rely on having more displacement to control the suspension activity. I can't speak to any other impala SS shocks for damping ability, but if you try them, get the stiffest ones you can find.

Alternatively, you could try some softer Chevy Express shocks...they're longer, and the Bilstein Express shocks I tried initially are way too stiff when unloaded, but something softer than the bilsteins may work well if you can handle the 14" compressed length.

I don't have pics of my homemade bracket, but can grab some when I get home later this week.

Ah sweet thanks. I bought a RCSB that I planned to lower but it has some major frame issues that I didn't realize when I bought it. I am going to swap my tahoe frame under so upgraded springs will be on the list if I want to use it as a truck

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah sweet thanks. I bought a RCSB that I planned to lower but it has some major frame issues that I didn't realize when I bought it. I am going to swap my tahoe frame under so upgraded springs will be on the list if I want to use it as a truck

Not to muddy this thread up too much, but my understanding is the frames are quite a lot different in the rear sections between the trucks and the tahoes. I'm not sure if the swap has been done before, but make sure you know what you're in for before you start taking things apart. It may be possible to weld mounts up to get everything connected, but the Tahoe frame kickup over the axle is different and may mean you can't get the bed low enough on the frame to line up with the cab.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to muddy this thread up too much, but my understanding is the frames are quite a lot different in the rear sections between the trucks and the tahoes. I'm not sure if the swap has been done before, but make sure you know what you're in for before you start taking things apart. It may be possible to weld mounts up to get everything connected, but the Tahoe frame kickup over the axle is different and may mean you can't get the bed low enough on the frame to line up with the cab.

Yeah I looked at the drawings the tahoe kick up is the same height or really really close to the normal bed frame. So just mounts need to be made for the bed. The front cab mounts seem the same just the tahoe frame stays low where the truck frame kicks up after the cab.

I can fab and have a pretty complete shop so not super concerned. Haven't seen any no go's yet. I'll make a thread when I go for it.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bilstein or Beltech Street performance shocks ? I would like to hear opinions on one versus the other, hopefully from someone that has used both and can give a comparison based on facts.

drbizerk

Reaction score
I have an ext cab with 2”spindles 3” springs front with belltech nitro drop2
Rear has a cheap notch and shackles with leaf packs from a 1-ton. Cheap Gabriel air-shocks for a 79 caprice wagon with Shock extenders. This setup was perfect when I had 2600lbs of car audio installed. It sucks with no load but add about 150-200lbs it’s good as it gets.

DADE_LIFE95

Reaction score
I have an ext cab with 2”spindles 3” springs front with belltech nitro drop2
Rear has a cheap notch and shackles with leaf packs from a 1-ton. Cheap Gabriel air-shocks for a 79 caprice wagon with Shock extenders. This setup was perfect when I had 2600lbs of car audio installed. It sucks with no load but add about 150-200lbs it’s good as it gets.

What’s the length of the shocks you have in the front ? And how does it ride

John Keeve

Reaction score
I recently installed bilsteins on the front and back over the weekend. They are total life changers if you are willing to spend the money on them.
Front: AK2083
Rear: 24021715
Keep in mind that these are rated for 0-4" drops in the front and rear. But they are definitely worth it.

Did you run shock extenders with your Bilsteins? Mines seems to be bottoming out with 4" hangers and shackles out back.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you run shock extenders with your Bilsteins? Mines seems to be bottoming out with 4" hangers and shackles out back.
I did. Or I do, I mean.. it's the belltech extenders. I haven't had any issues with the shocks bottoming out. They're incredibly stiff (that's what she said) so it would take alot for that to happen. Are yours pretty old?