The Shock Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently installed bilsteins on the front and back over the weekend. They are total life changers if you are willing to spend the money on them.
Front: AK2083
Rear: 24021715
Keep in mind that these are rated for 0-4" drops in the front and rear. But they are definitely worth it.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the rear of my 91 2wd with 2" shackles i cut all the factory brackets out and made my own crossmember and used a Rancho 9000XL RS9000123 That fits the front of the 4wd S10s.
The Factory shocks looked horrible in the position they were in with the shackles. plus i needed room for the fuel cell and exhaust.

Factory 1500 length was 26.3"/16.5" (Rancho RS999166)
The 4wd S10 front shocks (RS999123) are 17.3"/11.7" and worked out great. At ride height i think im at 3.5" of compression out of 5.5".
I havent bottomed them out yet and i still need to add bumpstops. Not sure how much seperation ill get with the caltracs yet either.

Now im looking at Viking Double Adjustables for up front.

Last edited:

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those of you bagged running 24s or larger what are you guys doing for the front. I have MMW flat plate arms and there is just no room to mount any type of shock or even the mount

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've goy a 1999 Tahoe 2dr 2wd at the time of purchase it had a 4/2 drop. I installed DJM flip kit in the rear to level the truck out and I'm running the suggested Calmax SuperShock on all 4 corners with the supplied shock extenders and the rear suspension ride quality is sh*t at best. What are my options to help the ride quality of my Tahoe?

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 5/6 drop on my 94. I just installed Bilsteins and am pretty happy with them. I've learned to run only Bilstein over the years. Not as stiff as my 86 golf on coils, but it handles well enough for a daily.

Since Bilstein doesn't specifically make a "drop shock", I did some digging and another person provided these part numbers:

Bilstein B6 4600 Heavy Duty Shock Absorber Dodge Dakota, Durango Front 24-064606

Bilstein B6 4600 Heavy Duty Shock Absorber Jeep Cherokee Rear 24-010467

They bolted right up, no issues.
What year on the dakota/ jeep?

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've got Bilstein shocks off of a Chevy Express van on the back of my Limited along with the extenders that came with the flip kit. For anyone looking for some stiff damping to control a load or trailer, these are awesome but quite stiff, and a couple inches shorter than stock shocks. The front bilsteins are too soft for the trimmed C3500 diesel front springs (drop spindles mean they still have travel though) so I'm looking for a stiffer solution up front. I may try QA1s but am undecided yet.

For anyone stiff and low in the front though, the single best thing I've done for that annoying low-amplitude weak-shock-feeling bounce over small bumps has been poly upper shock bushings. The rubber ones that come with shocks are just too soft to control a stiff spring, and you end up losing all the damping over little stuff because it's just compressing those rubber donuts.

You must be registered for see images

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone refresh me ! I installed a set of Bilsteins back in 1999 on my 98 1500 I have Beltech 4/6 drop with spindles and springs on front and flip and c-notch rear with shock extender brackets.. Here is what I don't remember =/
Bilstein Shocks
I know I used Bilstein AK 2083 on the front, but I cannot remember which set I used on rear ?? I am thinking with the shock relocator/extenders it took a stock length shock on the rear? But I am not sure and after 20 years, I flat ass don't remember !? Without crawling under or removing a now nasty looking shock I cant see the part number on it. Anyone got any idea ? Is it a stock length with the extenders ?

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
definitely not stock with extenders on the Tahoe; I'd imagine the same would be true for the trucks unless the upper is relocated.