The Shock Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
definitely not stock with extenders on the Tahoe; I'd imagine the same would be true for the trucks unless the upper is relocated.
I will have to get it up on the lift and pull one off, I am sure once it is off and cleaned up I will find a number on it, or get length of it. Truck still rides decent not sure they are shot, but I figure after 19-20 years they deserve a look see.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will have to get it up on the lift and pull one off, I am sure once it is off and cleaned up I will find a number on it, or get length of it. Truck still rides decent not sure they are shot, but I figure after 19-20 years they deserve a look see.
24021715. <--- is this the number you remember for the rear? It is what I currently have on mine.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
24021715. <--- is this the number you remember for the rear? It is what I currently have on mine.
That is the number I found for 0-7 inch drop, was not sure about it. Do you have extender brackets on yours , with how much drop ? I looked at your albums page , and it looks like about the same set up as you have. Thanks for the help

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5 inch drop in the rear with belltech extenders in the back. I'm looking to go to 4 inches, but I'm holding out until I can find a set of the discontinued hotchkis leaf springs for our trucks. But the shocks are great. The truck is very controlled and planted.

sparetimefab

Reaction score
So I did a 4/6 djm kit and the back hangs even after putting a set of 1.5" lift shackels on the rear. Has anyone used these shocks and had any lift out of them? If i just got a inch itd be perfect. Tia
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into that number more and it says for 4 inch drop ! I was thinking 0-7 for some reason.. I will have to pull one of my old ones and scrub it up and see if I can find a part number for it... Thx

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I did a 4/6 djm kit and the back hangs even after putting a set of 1.5" lift shackels on the rear. Has anyone used these shocks and had any lift out of them? If i just got a inch itd be perfect. Tia

Shocks don't lift or lower your ride height, unless they have springs on them. Shocks only control movement.

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Could be worn leafs mine were bad on my 98 suburban when I had it .. sagged pretty bad looks like u need to just lower the front more lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shock update on the 4 door 'hoe:

1500 lb front springs with a coil removed work well with ~2000 chevy express 2500/3500 AC Delco factory replacement shocks. Ride quality is good and the high speed damping is spot on. Low speed damping is a little on the soft side for my taste, but that's probably why the ride quality is good even with springs close to double the factory rate. I'm impressed. Shock dimensions and travel are similar to stock Tahoe, so good for moderate drop or spindles but not for large spring-only drops. Poly or delrin upper shock bushings are critical for making these shocks and springs work without a 'jiggly' ride quality. Energy suspension offers some that fit when drilled out, or you can make your own.

2200lb capacity leaf springs have been a constant challenge for shocks in the rear vs stock 1500-1600 lb ratings, plus the axle flip and goofy shock lengths make finding shocks that are appropriate length challenging. Tried the matching Express 2500/3500 rear shocks +relocate from Bilstein, but they are way, way too stiff for the lighter Tahoe body and don't have enough travel even with relocate brackets. Shocks intended for the 2wd tahoe were too soft to control the springs and didn't have enough travel. I'm now using Hotchkis/Fox Racing shocks for a '94-'96 Impala SS with custom lower bushing inserts to fit the different Tahoe mounting style. Rebound damping on full stiff is about right. Compression damping is a little too soft for me, but again, it makes the ride quality pretty good considering how stiff the springs are. Shocks also offer about an inch more travel than the Tahoe/Express shocks, plus I welded up some new brackets that make the shock lengths the same on both sides and fixed the angle. All of the off the shelf options, including stock, have maybe 1.5" less travel and a much shallower (less vertical) shock angle on the driver's side vs passenger. Again, getting the lower shock mount and the shock angles right is the difference between 'jiggly' underdamped ride over smaller imperfections and a good, controlled ride.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shock update on the 4 door 'hoe:

1500 lb front springs with a coil removed work well with ~2000 chevy express 2500/3500 AC Delco factory replacement shocks. Ride quality is good and the high speed damping is spot on. Low speed damping is a little on the soft side for my taste, but that's probably why the ride quality is good even with springs close to double the factory rate. I'm impressed. Shock dimensions and travel are similar to stock Tahoe, so good for moderate drop or spindles but not for large spring-only drops. Poly or delrin upper shock bushings are critical for making these shocks and springs work without a 'jiggly' ride quality. Energy suspension offers some that fit when drilled out, or you can make your own.

2200lb capacity leaf springs have been a constant challenge for shocks in the rear vs stock 1500-1600 lb ratings, plus the axle flip and goofy shock lengths make finding shocks that are appropriate length challenging. Tried the matching Express 2500/3500 rear shocks +relocate from Bilstein, but they are way, way too stiff for the lighter Tahoe body and don't have enough travel even with relocate brackets. Shocks intended for the 2wd tahoe were too soft to control the springs and didn't have enough travel. I'm now using Hotchkis/Fox Racing shocks for a '94-'96 Impala SS with custom lower bushing inserts to fit the different Tahoe mounting style. Rebound damping on full stiff is about right. Compression damping is a little too soft for me, but again, it makes the ride quality pretty good considering how stiff the springs are. Shocks also offer about an inch more travel than the Tahoe/Express shocks, plus I welded up some new brackets that make the shock lengths the same on both sides and fixed the angle. All of the off the shelf options, including stock, have maybe 1.5" less travel and a much shallower (less vertical) shock angle on the driver's side vs passenger. Again, getting the lower shock mount and the shock angles right is the difference between 'jiggly' underdamped ride over smaller imperfections and a good, controlled ride.

Are you running heavier springs in the back? I am confused on the 2200 vs 1600lb I wasn't aware there were heavier tahoe leaves. Do you have any pics of the brackets you made and shock numbers? would regular impala ss shocks work instead of the more expensive hotchkis

thanks

Last edited: