The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only time you need to screw it in is if you have a regular cab.
the bar support for the overhead consoles cam in tahoes, burbs, crews, and excabs. so if you have one of those, you just need to know where to cut into your headliner to put it in.

Reaction score
I just put one in my xcab and it worked out great. I also added the rearview mirror with compass and temp. I wasn't to eager to cut into my headliner, I measured like ten times and held it in place forever until I had no doubt it was right, then I took the plunge with the razor knife. Thank god I was right!!! Looks great and I'd do it again in another truck.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Anybody figure out how to get the map lights to work with the dome? I think I will take mine down and completely rewire it to work both ways.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Isn't the dome light Ground (-) switched?

As in it has a (+) lead on constantly and when it closes the switch on the door it makes a path to ground (-)?

I can very well be wrong, but I think if I remember correctly that it is.

Reaction score
Isn't the dome light Ground (-) switched?

As in it has a (+) lead on constantly and when it closes the switch on the door it makes a path to ground (-)?

I can very well be wrong, but I think if I remember correctly that it is.[/QUOT

x2, I believe you are correct on this, at least when I hooked up my alarm the install said it was this way for the door pins, which run the same circuit as the dome light.

fragdemon

Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone or have any pics of one of these installed in a regular cab? Been toying with the idea of getting one of these since I had to rip out my headliner not too long ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
Just bought one for my regular cab, stupidly pulled off all the headliner material because it was tan. I find out NOW that the Dupli-color fabric and vinyl coating would've worked fine, because that part isn't touched alot. Now I gotta recover it :mad: And to Fragdemon, I looked into a highliner, and I'd advise against it. For one, you're gonna have to cut your A- and B- pillar trim pieces to make it fit. Also, to wire up a headunit, you'd probably have to extend the wires in the dash which means cutting and splicing. It's also close to $300 (if memory serves me correctly) and for that price you could get a covered ABS headliner. The speakers in it are only 4 inch, and I think 10 watts. You won't get the sound you are expecting from it, and if your truck is a regular cab, there's no reason the dash and pillar ones wouldn't be enough if they're high powered. Mine make my ears ring if I turn them up too loud, and they're 140 watts each.

Just my $.02.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't do it Frag. Just recover your headliner, maybe look into lights out of a 99-07 for the roof lights, and just bump up the speakers in the B-Pillers you got.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody figure out how to get the map lights to work with the dome? I think I will take mine down and completely rewire it to work both ways.

If my memory serves me correctly when I installed my console I connected the map lights orange + wire directly to the the dome light wire (on the dome light) and the map lights worked with the dome light everytime I opened the door.

To get the map lights to work without the dome light I connected the orange + map light wire to the orange + wire from the dome light harness.

Cdawg

Reaction score
You bought the truck with that mirror? I can find them on ebay, but they look like they need a special plug to work (vehicle specific).

I bought one out of a 2003 Saturn Vue for mine. The wiring looks specific, but it's not. It's a pretty simple mod., even mounted onto the existing button on the windshield. You'll have your 12v power, ground, two wires for the Temp sensor, and I believe there is one additional wire for disabling the auto dimming when in reverse . I never connected that one, didn't really see the need. The temperature sensors are universal to most GM cars, you can find them either on e-bay, or even order one from a GM dealer. I didn't get one with map lights, I kind of wish I had, but I guess it's ok without them. They are a little more expensive with the map lights, and I very specifically wanted the temperature. Mine displays the temperature and compass heading simultaniously. Also, FYI, mount the temperature sensor in front of the radiator for the most accurate reading.

Anyway, I had a question about the overhead consoles. I've really thought about doing this, but I really don't want to cut the headliner. Is it possible to mount one basically ontop of the headliner, and drill through the headliner to mount it. I wasn't sure if that would work or not. I'm not sure I'd do it if I had to cut the headliner.

~C-Dawg