The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone or have any pics of one of these installed in a regular cab? Been toying with the idea of getting one of these since I had to rip out my headliner not too long ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

i think im going to build somthing similar to this for my truck starting this weekend minus the pattern

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my headliner project for the 97 is really starting to come along, should have pics up soon. today i put an overhead counsel in the 92 with homelink from a 90s jeep grand cheeroke. that system is pretty simple and only has a two wire set up. i took the last sorage pocket door on the counsel off and fitted the homlink into it perfect. it looks factory aside from the color difference. but thats fine its just a big back road queen anyway nothing special. i also have the same homelink for my 97 in matching color with another over head but im planning to combine everything with the overhead speaker set up all at once so it will be a few more weeks till its finished because im just taking my dear sweet time. just figured i would throw out there that the jeep homelink is a great way to go because its all one unit and very small plus simple to wire up!

Reaction score
Hey guys...new to this forum, anyway, I have the overhead console in my '98 but I'd like to add the homelink and the outside temperature console from say like an S-10 Blazer. My mirror already has the compass so is there another rearview mirror available that has the temperature and compass?

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my ext. cab did not have the mounts cut in the roof.

anyone have a measurement set for the correct location of the overhead console? without the slots being in my rood, im going the easy way and suing short screws to mount the back.

again, if someone could get me the measurements for just where this thing is located, id greatly appreciate it.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I finally found an overhead console out of a tahoe. I was able to find the slots of the back tab no problem. Just F.Y.I. if you take off the dome light, you can pull the headline down enough to see the square tabs.

Anyway, so the back tabs are no problem. But for the front I have an issue. I have a square hole for the "guider" plastic tab at the front of the console. I also have a round hole that is for the screw mount. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the hole for a screw to grab to. You know on sheet metal they usually have those small square holes, and you can punch those little square looking things into them so that you can screw a screw into them. (on the grill you have them on the front)

So essentially, I have to somehow screw the front up into something. Any ideas? I thought of a butterfly clip, thats about it... Anyone?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So essentially, I have to somehow screw the front up into something. Any ideas? I thought of a butterfly clip, thats about it... Anyone?

Yep, a butterfly clip will work out great! Just slip it on the mounting point of the roof of the cab, and slip the rear of the console into the slots and take an awl to line up the clip with the hole in the console. Then all you gotta do is screw a screw in and you got er made! That's how i did mine!

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
cool, ya I was so excited to find the back clips, and I thought it would be a walk in the park. Apparently not.

I will try tomorrow.

I trimmed the front mounting "slot" to. It was touching the roof but in the middle of the console there was a gap...

Can't wait to get this up!