The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroSierraST

Reaction score
Adding HomeLink is easy. Power, ground and illumination, then programming.

Typical Homelink connector:

Orange: 12+ (switched is optional if you don't want someone opening your garage door when sitting outside or something)
Purple/yellow: Ground
middle wire which can be green, red or who knows is illumination. Optional if you don't want to go through that.

Get the HomeLink from a 1999 or newer truck/van as it will have Rolling Code Technology and will work with most newer garage door openers.

Then programming.
Programming instructions:
1. For first-time programming, press and hold the two outside buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Release both buttons.
Note: Some vehicles may require the ignition switch to be turned to the second (or “accessory” ) position during the programming process.

2. Hold the end of your handheld transmitter between 1 and 3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor or overhead console) keeping the indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously push the handheld transmitter button and the desired HomeLink button. DO NOT release the buttons until step 4 has been completed.

4. Hold down both buttons until the indicator light on the HomeLink Universal Transceiver flashes, first slowly then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapidly flashing light indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal.) To activate the garage door or other programmed device, press and hold the HomeLink button - releasing when the device begins to activate.

5. To program the remaining two buttons, follow steps 2 through 4.

Rolling Code Programming
Rolling code garage door openers which are “code-protected” and manufactured after 1996 may be determined by the following:
• Reference the garage door opener owner's manual for verification.
• The handheld transmitter appears to program the HomeLink Universal Transceiver but does not activate the garage door.
• Press and hold the trained HomeLink button. The garage door opener has the rolling code feature if the indicator light flashes rapidly and then turns solid after 2 seconds.

To train a garage door with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions (the aid of a second person may make the training quicker and easier):

1. Locate the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener owner's manual or please visit our web site, www.homelink.com.

2. Press the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activates the “training light”). Note: Following step 2, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate step 3.

3. Firmly press and release the programmed HomeLink® button. Press and release the HomeLink button a second time to complete the training process. (Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time
to complete the training.)

The garage door opener should now recognize the HomeLink Universal Transceiver. The remaining two buttons may now be trained if this has not previously been done. Refer to the Programming portion of this text. The HomeLink Universal Transceiver (once programmed) or the original handheld transmitter may be used to activate the garage door.

In the event that there are still difficulties in programming the HomeLink Universal Transceiver, please visit our web site, www.homelink.com.

When I get a truck other than my S10 Blazer, I'll do a write-up if anyone cares...

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could you take some measurements for me when you get it up? thanks.
Michael

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Information on overhead consoles:

GMT400 trucks/SUVs used three styles of overhead consoles; A really short SUV style with only rear HVAC controls, and more commonly the longer console, in truck and an suv style. The truck style has a smaller opening in the front (same as the S-10s) and is much harder to find. The SUVs had a larger opening for HVAC contols. There are no options nor provisions for an OH console in a regular cab.

GMT800 trucks/SUVs used two consoles as well; a short console with only a pocket/HVAC and maplights, and an extremely simlar long console as the GMT400 SUV console. The short console is the most common, and is available in all models. The long console is not available in regular cabs.

GMT400 Truck console
The red console is in my 88 Sierra. It's the smaller opening style (shared with the S-10s). It has the compass/temp unit from an S-10 installed in it. The grey console came in my 99 from the factory, and I have since put homelink and a compass temp unit in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

GMT400 SUV console / GMT800 long console.
This is the console in my 02 Sierra. It's the large opening style, and is actually from a GMT400 SUV. The only difference is there is a small gap on the back where it meets the headliner (which you can't see in the regular cab). I have a Denali Driver Information Center custom mounted in mine.

GMT800 Short console variants (first is for a sunroof, second is standard)

Color breakdowns:
GMT400 colors range 92-94 and 95-98 (00c). The 92-94 consoles also had a lighter metallic silver color for the plastic, as opposed to the grey color more commonly seen in 95-98 (00c) trucks. See the difference in the door on the blue console? Both of these were 92-94 consoles from suburbans.

GM800 colors range 99-02 and 03-06 (07c). Some 99-02 colors are interchangeable with 95-98 (00c) such as the medium grey in my 02.

Other Consoles:
S-Series & Astro/Savana consoles will not fit without modification to them, the rooflines are different. There are short, long (similar to a GMT400 truck console, but with a domelight at the back), and super long consoles from these vehicles.

The S-series also had 2 styles of computers available, a basic compass temp unit (with on/off and us/metric buttons) and an advanced one which does mileage (with mode and us/metric buttons). Both will fit in the GMT400 truck console. To use the mileage computer, the vehicle needs to be OBDII. I am unsure what vehicles they will work on, however know they are not compatible with 6.5L diesels and 7.4L gas motors.

RetroSierraST

Reaction score
To use the mileage computer, the vehicle needs to be OBDII. I am unsure what vehicles they will work on, however know they are not compatible with 6.5L diesels and 7.4L gas motors.

One from a S-series will likely only work on 6 cylinders.

YoYo

Reaction score
i have an overhead console i bought and i had 1/2in self tapping screws to hold it up but they barley went through the headliner after it went through the console and then i tried 3/4in and they still didnt go through the metal layer and im scared to go any bigger cuz i dont wanna have a hole in my roof, need help. its a single cab

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll post some pics of mine. I put some gauges in the block off plate. I angled them toward the drivers side. You can't see them from the passenger side.
[/IMG]

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks damn good.^^^

has anyone ever tried to mount a OH console out of a 00-02 chevy NBS in there OBS? picked up one cheap at the Junk yard a week or so ago.My question is the map light stick up farther than the baswew of the console. is there any way to make this work or would i have to fiberglass the mount so it stickes up more?

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kingcabs have a hole in the inner cab for a J-nut. I cut the headliner & installed a J-nut. You can barely see it in this pic.
[/IMG]