The Beast in Me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, i just joined this site, I'm 15 and i do dream/desire a big block build, i have my dads 98 burb w/ a 454 vortec that i will be driving in high school, (i know I'm gonna hate paying gas.) that is your answer, and if i could get some help on a few things that would be great, is there any sort of way i can squeeze more power out of these l29's without covering to a carburetor? (it already has a custom 2.50" exhaust w/ glass packs, and a volant air intake system, but we removed the box that draws cool air from the wheel well so it just an air filter on the end of the M.A.S. tubing.) any help will be appreciated. thx. EDIT: I'm going for torque numbers not horses.

The whole point behind the Volant CAI is for the sealed box, if you start your own thread there's quite a few people on here who have some great knowledge on these fat motors, I know I've benefited from the information gained from other 454 owners on here.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put the stock air cleaner back on the truck..conversation choices and aftermarket choices are difficult without years of making mistakes..stock gm equipment is hard to beat..having independent injectors is important to tuning..what's changed is the ability to fine tune with a 0411 LS style ecm ,this would be my first choice after making a change after making sure EVERYTHING is up to spec...fuel system and ignition,etc
The Volant is a much better setup than the OEM GM box. They are usually designed around a donaldson style filter core that has a huge surface area compared to the OEM filter as well.

I have set the Volant up multiple times on small block trucks. It works very well with the stock MAF programming and provides a small power increase on a stock engine and a noticeable power increase on modified setups.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Volant is a much better setup than the OEM GM box. They are usually designed around a donaldson style filter core that has a huge surface area compared to the OEM filter as well.

I have set the Volant up multiple times on small block trucks. It works very well with the stock MAF programming and provides a small power increase on a stock engine and a noticeable power increase on modified setups.

I dont believe it unless you personally have dyno figures to back that up and or ELapsed times. I have a friend with a chassis dyno and he has tried all the so call trickery for years and has seen nothing. I have the optional 7.4 HD filter which is huge and barely can fit the cannister which is all the air the stock throttle body can handle. From the factory on a 7.4 L29 will quit making power at about 4000 rpm and the stock throttle body is puny...nothing you can do about that? If you have an engine that needs more air then then you start with the intake tract and then go to the manifold and then the throttle body. Of course the cam needs to be changed to accommodate the better flowing intake tract for your air pump...the Air cleaner is the last place to look at to increase air flow. These engines are air pumps and nothing you can do with an air cleaner will work if other things are not made to compliment the air cleaner. Why do people believe all the hype when its all common sense? I dont get it.......piss your money away and make these aftermarket money hungry folks happy that keep feeding BS to the folks that feel they need something you can bolt on and give them 15-20 HP and all you have to do is bolt on an aftermarket air cleaner.....On top of all of this......they are expensive! Some of those boxs are over 300 bucks...go buy yourself a LS1 0411 module for 200 bucks and you pickup more than 20 HP. These black box engines are pathetically out of tune with that ECM

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont believe it unless you personally have dyno figures to back that up and or ELapsed times.

If he does post a dyno sheet, I encourage anyone who sees it to reverse Google image search it. It won't be the first time he's faked one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If he does post a dyno sheet, I encourage anyone who sees it to reverse Google image search it. It won't be the first time he's faked one.

Be that as it may, he does post factual information too. Especially when it comes to the 1s and 0s of a tune.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be that as it may, he does post factual information too. Especially when it comes to the 1s and 0s of a tune.

I'm not disputing that there's truth to some of his posts. I just find it hard to trust much of what he says after seeing the faked dyno sheet. Pretty poor sign of character IMO. If he lied about that then there's no reason to believe he wouldn't lie about anything else.