The Beast in Me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont believe it unless you personally have dyno figures to back that up and or ELapsed times. I have a friend with a chassis dyno and he has tried all the so call trickery for years and has seen nothing. I have the optional 7.4 HD filter which is huge and barely can fit the cannister which is all the air the stock throttle body can handle. From the factory on a 7.4 L29 will quit making power at about 4000 rpm and the stock throttle body is puny...nothing you can do about that? If you have an engine that needs more air then then you start with the intake tract and then go to the manifold and then the throttle body. Of course the cam needs to be changed to accommodate the better flowing intake tract for your air pump...the Air cleaner is the last place to look at to increase air flow. These engines are air pumps and nothing you can do with an air cleaner will work if other things are not made to compliment the air cleaner. Why do people believe all the hype when its all common sense? I dont get it.......piss your money away and make these aftermarket money hungry folks happy that keep feeding BS to the folks that feel they need something you can bolt on and give them 15-20 HP and all you have to do is bolt on an aftermarket air cleaner.....On top of all of this......they are expensive! Some of those boxs are over 300 bucks...go buy yourself a LS1 0411 module for 200 bucks and you pickup more than 20 HP. These black box engines are pathetically out of tune with that ECM

Except the factory air intake tubing not so much the filter is garbage. The elbow that makes the turn into the air filter from the accordion tube is about half the diameter of the openings on each end through the bend. The accorion tube is a cause of turbulence. On the 305/350 trucks the bonnet over the TBI is also not a smooth transition. The Volant fixes all these short comings. My WOT MAP readings went from 90 kpa @ 5,500 to 98 kpa @ 5,500 on a 350 Vortec Suburban with a F-Car LT1 cam, 1.6 rockers, ported intake base and long tube headers with 2.25" full dual exhaust. 20 gms/sec increase in airflow. The truck turned multiple 9.1/9.2 second 1/8 mile times on a 90°F evening at Texas Raceway in Kennedale when it was still open.

I also had a Nissan Titan that consistently dropped an average of 2 full tenths in the 1/8th before and after and airaid MXP. The only mod on that truck at the time was a Magnaflow and 2° ignition timing advance. MXP is a 4" venturi style intake with a massive 2200 cfm 6" opening filter. The TB on that truck was 78mm. That same truck also dropped 7 tenths in the 1/8 with a Hypertech 93 octane tuner as well and dipped into the 13.90s on a 1.99s 60' with an open differential on 20" wheels and street tires.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Except the factory air intake tubing not so much the filter is garbage. The elbow that makes the turn into the air filter from the accordion tube is about half the diameter of the openings on each end through the bend. The accorion tube is a cause of turbulence. On the 305/350 trucks the bonnet over the TBI is also not a smooth transition. The Volant fixes all these short comings. My WOT MAP readings went from 90 kpa @ 5,500 to 98 kpa @ 5,500 on a 350 Vortec Suburban with a F-Car LT1 cam, 1.6 rockers, ported intake base and long tube headers with 2.25" full dual exhaust. 20 gms/sec increase in airflow. The truck turned multiple 9.1/9.2 second 1/8 mile times on a 90°F evening at Texas Raceway in Kennedale when it was still open.

I also had a Nissan Titan that consistently dropped an average of 2 full tenths in the 1/8th before and after and airaid MXP. The only mod on that truck at the time was a Magnaflow and 2° ignition timing advance. MXP is a 4" venturi style intake with a massive 2200 cfm 6" opening filter. The TB on that truck was 78mm. That same truck also dropped 7 tenths in the 1/8 with a Hypertech 93 octane tuner as well and dipped into the 13.90s on a 1.99s 60' with an open differential on 20" wheels and street tires.

I removed the airbox lid, then the filter, and went from something like a 7 kpa drop at WOT to 2. This was with a bone stock motor when I first bought the truck though, the 1500. I feel that the stock filter is excessively shrouded in addition to the elbow, accordion, and TB transition sucking.