The Beast in Me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not know where you keep coming up with this "Single digit MPG" line of BS. Unloaded in a 1/2 ton truck with a well tuned EFI setup and gearing to take advantage of the added off-idle torque of the big block will do nearly as good in MPG as the small block. The big block just does not have to rev to move the truck. When it comes to towing BOTH engines are going to be drinking fuel. The big block because you are working a massive engine and the small block because it is having to have the snot reved out of it to pull the trailer.

There is a reason I left 3.42 gears in my Tahoe even with 32" tall tires. The 8.1 even cammed pulls very happily at 1,850 RPM @ 70 mph and around 2,250 @ 85 mph. I can hold lockup down to 1,000 rpm and the 8.1 big block with the HP2 Marine cam pulls along at the low rpm effortlessly even uphill.
I know you're in love with big blocks and are apparently (allegedly) the end all be all of chevy V8 knowledge, but it was a joke. Lighten up. :)

Fez_Jet_Az

Reaction score
Wow do I have pulling power like never before

Hooked up the camper yesterday and pulled it 50 miles home on road I have hauled it coun th less times over the years, what a difference.

In the past I had always towed in 3rd gear and rarely used cruise so I could get my foot into the gas as hills and grade changes came up so I could avoid transmission tq converter unlock or down shift to second.

I can now tow at 70mph in 4th with cruise on and there is ample power to just keep on pushing with only a rare converter unlock.

With my 3.73 however towing at 60mph in 4th yields excessive tq converter unlock as the rpm is sub 2000.

I personally feel towing at 70mph is generally unsafe and not where I play, but I had to try it out

Going back down to 60mph and dropping into 3rd gear had the same positive results, I set the cruise and the converter never unlocked.

Temps never rose up over the 180 degree t stat control, all be it was in the 60 degree range outside. Nor do I have my oil cooler plumbed in at this time

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I will pull the boat at 70 but not the toy hauler.

I hauled my camper with trailer doing a confident 85mph in heading north in OK/KS with a sweet tailwind. That turned into 65 once I pointed it west and that became a cross wind.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, to be fair, a ton of drag racers take the 454 blocks and turn them into screamers for the track, but that hardly counts as BBC when the block is filled and is literally the only Chevy part in the entire engine.
I have a 565 big block with huge brodix big duke heads that eat theose ls engines for lunch..1000 hp and 850 ft pounds of torque...thats with no power adder...idles at 850 rpm with a carb...in a 3500 pound car with a turbo 400 and a 3.90 gear it will run 8.90 at 160 mph...and yes I have a 496 going in my 1ton srw gmt400 I cant find anyting but a diesel that will tow with this 496, the engine is going to make around 500 ft pounds of torque at around 2500 rpm and peak HP of maybe 300-350 at 4000 rpm...pulling with a 3.73 gear should net me around 10 mpg ..no paying for diesel fuel or battling at the pump or worrying about finding diesel and or the repair bills that will go with it...yes I am going to pay more for more gas but save in many other ways. Gas is cheap in America...

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder, do kids of this generation even desire or dream of a big block build, its been the 6.0 ERA since 2001.

Is a BBC a fictional Beast...?

Hi, i just joined this site, I'm 15 and i do dream/desire a big block build, i have my dads 98 burb w/ a 454 vortec that i will be driving in high school, (i know I'm gonna hate paying gas.) that is your answer, and if i could get some help on a few things that would be great, is there any sort of way i can squeeze more power out of these l29's without covering to a carburetor? (it already has a custom 2.50" exhaust w/ glass packs, and a volant air intake system, but we removed the box that draws cool air from the wheel well so it just an air filter on the end of the M.A.S. tubing.) any help will be appreciated. thx. EDIT: I'm going for torque numbers not horses.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, i just joined this site, I'm 15 and i do dream/desire a big block build, i have my dads 98 burb w/ a 454 vortec that i will be driving in high school, (i know I'm gonna hate paying gas.) that is your answer, and if i could get some help on a few things that would be great, is there any sort of way i can squeeze more power out of these l29's without covering to a carburetor? (it already has a custom 2.50" exhaust w/ glass packs, and a volant air intake system, but we removed the box that draws cool air from the wheel well so it just an air filter on the end of the M.A.S. tubing.) any help will be appreciated. thx. EDIT: I'm going for torque numbers not horses.

Probably best off starting your own thread for that. By the way, carburetor does not equal power. You might want to put the airbox back in as well; sucking hot air out of the engine bay isn't doing you any good and will be hurting you more than any drop in restriction might be helping.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably best off starting your own thread for that. By the way, carburetor does not equal power. You might want to put the airbox back in as well; sucking hot air out of the engine bay isn't doing you any good and will be hurting you more than any drop in restriction might be helping.
Put the stock air cleaner back on the truck..conversation choices and aftermarket choices are difficult without years of making mistakes..stock gm equipment is hard to beat..having independent injectors is important to tuning..what's changed is the ability to fine tune with a 0411 LS style ecm ,this would be my first choice after making a change after making sure EVERYTHING is up to spec...fuel system and ignition,etc