Teal daily driven farm truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I was trying to get away with not taking anything to the machine shop. This is the only bad cylinder. This is after about 60 passes with the medium grit 3 stone hone.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I’m gonna run it.

The rest of them are cleaning up.

My biggest thing is not spinning a bearing or throwing a rod. If it smokes a little it smokes a little. Heck, I’ve been known to smoke from time to time and there’s nothing wrong with me…

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So nice to see that another GMT400 is getting the maintenance it has deserved and will stay rolling a few more decades.
Thanks! This is my first 400, I’ve had it about 7 years and it’s the only vehicle I’ve owned for more than 1-3 years. I’ve had something like 18 vehicles since I was 15 and I can honestly say I’ll have this one forever.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I’m gonna run it.

The rest of them are cleaning up.
When I went through my 472 Cadillac, the block looked great except for a single groove in the #8 cylinder. I honed it as much as I dared and put new rings on that one cylinder. It ran just fine (except for the crank hitting the modified pan).

Several years ago I lost one of the apex seal corners in my RX-7, which is the equivalent of losing about half an inch out of the rings on one cylinder. It idled like garbage, but above 3000 rpm it pulled as strong as ever. That helped clarify in my mind that "perfect" cylinder bores and ring gaps is a bit overrated.

When I had my last engine bored and the rings had "too much" gap, the machinist and I did the math and realized it was because the pistons were .003" too large. We decided it wasn't critical.

Don't get me wrong, if you can get it right, get it right, but when you're on a budget, perfection has a limited value. The $150 350 I'm building has some pitting sitting outside with water in a couple of the bores. I honed it, but you can still see it. I'm going to go ahead and run with it.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I went through my 472 Cadillac, the block looked great except for a single groove in the #8 cylinder. I honed it as much as I dared and put new rings on that one cylinder. It ran just fine (except for the crank hitting the modified pan).

Several years ago I lost one of the apex seal corners in my RX-7, which is the equivalent of losing about half an inch out of the rings on one cylinder. It idled like garbage, but above 3000 rpm it pulled as strong as ever. That helped clarify in my mind that "perfect" cylinder bores and ring gaps is a bit overrated.

When I had my last engine bored and the rings had "too much" gap, the machinist and I did the math and realized it was because the pistons were .003" too large. We decided it wasn't critical.

Don't get me wrong, if you can get it right, get it right, but when you're on a budget, perfection has a limited value. The $150 350 I'm building has some pitting sitting outside with water in a couple of the bores. I honed it, but you can still see it. I'm going to go ahead and run with it.
That’s what I was hoping to hear and experience. There’s some grooving on the bearing journals on the crankshaft too but I’ll polish it with emery cloth and see what it reads.

My mics and t-gages were supposed to be here Saturday. But mr bezos has informed me that if they aren’t here today then I CAN get a refund :33: