97 K3500 454 Farm Truck Basic Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum but man is there a lot of info. I have spent the last two weeks just reading and reading....I am hoping to share my plan with you and hopefully get advice/critiqued so I do it once and do it right. I have a 454 that I use on my farm and I want to increase towing/throttle response some. I am typically towing anywhere from 5-12k. This is not my everyday vehicle.

1) My goal is to fix the long crank issue with new injectors, I found to use these injectors on this thread (https://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-official-vortec-454-info-thread.50576/page-4) Bosch 4 hole injectors from 50 motorsport (I'm going to replace the FPR with ac delco and new upper and lower felpro gaskets.) My understanding is that this will not require an immediate tune but is a reliability improvement.

2) While I am there, I want to install a CAI. I know there are mixed reviews on this. I am still undecided on what brand, may just stick with K&N.

3) I plan to do a full exhaust. I am looking at these headers and then plan to let a local shop handle the rest. I am going to remove CATs and go with a dual system flowmaster 20 or so. Including an X-pipe. I was leaning towards long tubes, but everything I am reading says the 4x4 needs to stick with shorties, is this correct?

4) I do have some questions about the EGR and O2 sensors. From the info I gathered it really doesn't seem that hard to cap the EGR, and I will probably need to do that with new headers. The caps I plan to use I got from this forum below. I am assuming both of these will need to be tuned out to prevent getting and OBII or dash light. Is there any negative affect in running it before it's tuned?

5) The last step will be a tune from black bear, I am planning on doing just the traditional tune from the info I have read on their website. I have emailed them waiting on a reply.

So my questions are:
1) Do I need an immediate tune with the four port bosch injectors? I can plan them at the same time, just need to know
2) Any suggestions on CAI?
3) Shorties on a 4x4 only option? Shorty change out worth it?
4) Any negative effect on removing O2 and EGR before tune?
5) Any goods/bad on the black bear traditional?

Again, I am not making a race truck or planning to make forced induction anytime. Just trying to improve some and enjoy my vehicle. Any other basic improvements that I have missed?

Thanks!!!!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2) Any suggestions on CAI?

I would suggest saving your money. The stock intakes for these trucks are sealed systems and pull cool air from the fender already, plus they flow plenty of air for stock to mildly modified setups. If you absolutely have to have one, get a Volant. They're the only company who makes a sealed system that's actually an improvement. The K&N intakes are all open box designs that will draw hot air from inside the engine compartment. I removed a K&N FIPK from my red truck because it raised my intake air temperature significantly compared to the stock setup. Plus the oiled gauze filters have a tendency to foul MAF sensors.

4) Any negative effect on removing O2 and EGR before tune?

Rear O2s, no. EGR, potentially. Both will throw codes but the EGR could cause pinging at part throttle if it's not disabled in the tune.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
1) My goal is to fix the long crank issue with new injectors...

Verify that you have adequate fuel pressure, too. I was surprised when replacing my fuel pump "fixed" my assumed bad injectors.

2) While I am there, I want to install a CAI. I know there are mixed reviews on this. I am still undecided on what brand, may just stick with K&N.

Best advice is Don't. You have a cold air intake, and most "High performance" "cold air" intakes just pull in hot air.

3) I plan to do a full exhaust. I am looking at these headers and then plan to let a local shop handle the rest. I am going to remove CATs and go with a dual system flowmaster 20 or so. Including an X-pipe. I was leaning towards long tubes, but everything I am reading says the 4x4 needs to stick with shorties, is this correct?

No idea, as I have stock exhaust, but that sounds like a lot of money for a farm truck that's not going to see high RPM.

4) I do have some questions about the EGR and O2 sensors.

Are you talking about the rear O2 sensors? Those could be tuned out. GM did that themselves on the 2000 trucks.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
Verify that you have adequate fuel pressure, too. I was surprised when replacing my fuel pump "fixed" my assumed bad injectors.
I do, I recently replaced the fuel pump due to it "whining" in hot weather

Are you talking about the rear O2 sensors? Those could be tuned out. GM did that themselves on the 2000 trucks.
Yeah, and the fronts. My understanding is they are pre and post CAT, so if I go with the headers I will have to tune out all of them. I have not dug into the EGR system enough to see what type of sensors there are, but I would assume there is something, possibly not. I know on newer vehicles this is usually some type of temp sensor and a/f on them, maybe nothing with the age of this truck.

Thanks for the input!

TN454K3500

Reaction score
I would suggest saving your money. The stock intakes for these trucks are sealed systems and pull cool air from the fender already, plus they flow plenty of air for stock to mildly modified setups. If you absolutely have to have one, get a Volant. They're the only company who makes a sealed system that's actually an improvement. The K&N intakes are all open box designs that will draw hot air from inside the engine compartment. I removed a K&N FIPK from my red truck because it raised my intake air temperature significantly compared to the stock setup. Plus the oiled gauze filters have a tendency to foul MAF sensors.

Rear O2s, no. EGR, potentially. Both will throw codes but the EGR could cause pinging at part throttle if it's not disabled in the tune.

Thanks, def won't do K&N - may not do CAI at all and just save the money based on both your feedback

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My understanding is they are pre and post CAT, so if I go with the headers I will have to tune out all of them.

The front O2 sensors are necessary for fuel trim adjustment, you can't tune those out. You'll need to find headers with bungs welded in for them to screw into, or weld them on yourself.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, and the fronts. My understanding is they are pre and post CAT, so if I go with the headers I will have to tune out all of them. I have not dug into the EGR system enough to see what type of sensors there are, but I would assume there is something, possibly not. I know on newer vehicles this is usually some type of temp sensor and a/f on them, maybe nothing with the age of this truck.

No, you do not want to do that. Rears would not be a big deal as they just track cat efficiency. The fronts are a major portion of fuel management.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm using these injectors from south bay fuel injectors:
https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.c...vette-camaro-firebird-tpi-fuel-injectors.html
I also blocked off the factory FPR and am using an adjustable one on the return side to prevent future failures. You can get the blockoff plate from ICT Billet and adapters to convert the fuel line fittings to -6AN from the rail to the regulator and the regulator back to the return line.
https://www.ictbillet.com/fuel-pres...s-plug-for-ls-truck-intake-manifold-rail.html

The biggest single bang for your buck improvement you could make to your engine is probably going to be the cam. There are a bunch of options, but I went with getting my stock core reground by Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, WA. It was $140 shipped and took about 2 weeks total turn around. The stock intake and manifolds are going to be good for most mild improvements you could make and are not likely to improve performance by much.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
No, you do not want to do that. Rears would not be a big deal as they just track cat efficiency. The fronts are a major portion of fuel management.
The front O2 sensors are necessary for fuel trim adjustment, you can't tune those out. You'll need to find headers with bungs welded in for them to screw into, or weld them on yourself.

10-4, that makes sense, didn't think about that.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
According to another thread I need, "1997-’98 LS1: 28 lb/hr (58 psi) (maro/fbird 98 only) (Use L29 clips?)". I see you went with the 30lb/hr injectors. Did you tune for this or is 2lb/hr minimal enough that no impact really?
https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.c...vette-camaro-firebird-tpi-fuel-injectors.html
I also blocked off the factory FPR and am using an adjustable one on the return side to prevent future failures. You can get the blockoff plate from ICT Billet and adapters to convert the fuel line fittings to -6AN from the rail to the regulator and the regulator back to the return line.
https://www.ictbillet.com/fuel-pres...s-plug-for-ls-truck-intake-manifold-rail.html
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you explain what the benefit with putting FPR on the return side is? Is there a forum on this already I can review?

The biggest single bang for your buck improvement you could make to your engine is probably going to be the cam. There are a bunch of options, but I went with getting my stock core reground by Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, WA. It was $140 shipped and took about 2 weeks total turn around. The stock intake and manifolds are going to be good for most mild improvements you could make and are not likely to improve performance by much.
I understand the cam comment, and it may come in the future just not at the moment.

Last edited: