Swap Meet Slam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
great write up. another obs saved & properly outfitted. May I ask what spare tire/wheel you finally went with? Am looking for a narrower than stock/original spare, a space-saver type, so to speak. thanks

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
great write up. another obs saved & properly outfitted. May I ask what spare tire/wheel you finally went with? Am looking for a narrower than stock/original spare, a space-saver type, so to speak. thanks

Thanks!

I'm using a second generation Cadillac CTS 18" spare. Mostly because I already had one. I bought an adapter to go between the 5x5 to the 5x120 bolt pattern of the spare. If you are looking to buy one, there are probably better options. A GM B platform (Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster/Custom Cruiser) would probably be the best fit since they are 5x5 already.

Last edited:

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updates to the old truck continued.. even in the rain. :D

Added a rear view mirror with compass, temperature, & auto-dimming that I picked up from Cokeman95

You must be registered for see images attach

I want to do this same upgrade to my '96 rclb, how difficult was the wiring? Wondering if you need to pull that harness out of the donor truck as well or will straight wiring do the job? Beautiful truck by the way, hope mine turns out as well!

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to do this same upgrade to my '96 rclb, how difficult was the wiring? Wondering if you need to pull that harness out of the donor truck as well or will straight wiring do the job? Beautiful truck by the way, hope mine turns out as well!

Thanks!

It's not hard, you might be able to figure out how to dig it out of the harness. But, I just used new wire to run between the sensor, power, and mirror. Here's the thread I used to figure it out: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-install-a-compass-temperature-rear-view-mirror.6902/

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
17’s look so small on these trucks :D I wanted to see what the ZR1’s looked like on the truck. Think I’ll keep the 20’s :)

Last edited:

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
17’s look so small on these trucks I wanted to see what the ZR1’s looked like on the truck. Think I’ll keep the 20’s :)

Nice look, What year were they made?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of mid-'90s Corvette Gran Sport wheels that would look great on my truck, but I can't bring myself to run adapters.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome to see those on the truck! I have been batting around the same idea (saw blades) but am concerned about brake fitment. From my 4th gen camaro and corvette days I believe the Grand Sport and ZR1 had different rear offsets and the OEM wheels where much lighter than the repo's.

It would be interesting to see if you can feel any difference in the handling with those 17 inch wheels as opposed to the 20 inchers. I know it is like ballroom dancing with a whale but I am surprised how much lighter these trucks feel compared to the modern trucks.

Great stuff as always, thanks for sharing.