Factory Alternator Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGM350

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can get some help I have a 1990 C1500 with a stock alternator i’m trying to run some speakers in my truck and have upgraded to an optima yellow top battery and i was wondering if the AD244 swap that i see is common would work for me since my truck is older any advice is helpful thank you.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread, starting at this post:

GM often put support rods on the pre-1995 trucks, e.g., from the alternator to the exhaust manifold and/or intake manifold IIRC, to provide additional support for the alternator and assist the mounting bracket.

GM used adjunct brackets on certain 1996+ trucks with the factory high-output alternator, as well. There's a picture on GMT400.com, somewhere...

Give this some thought when you're making a retrofit.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dunno why people change the alternator just because they put a system in. Every vehicle I’ve had the past 20-25 years at least I put an aftermarket stereo with speakers, subs and an amp. Every single one had stock charging system and whatever battery was in it. I never had an issue with lights going out, burning up batteries or alternators, dash lights flicker whatever. Maybe cause I’m not running 10k watt amps, but 100-200 watts is enough to make the mirrors shake. Just my $.01…..(can’t afford the $.02)

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohms law quotes " 10,000 watts requires 833 amps."
" 200 watts requires 16.6 amps." At 12 volts.
It's not about age, it's what do you require, against what you have. Does it meet your needs or do you need to upgrade.