Suburban down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dead on with the concern but you're already mixing cast iron, aluminum and brass (freeze plugs). As long as the coolant to water mix is good everything should be OK. Back in the day we would check for electrolysis all the time but I haven't thought much about it for a good long time now. Signs we're getting old lol.

Yup makes me think of plumbing

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My neighbor down the road has some cast iron parts for the plumbing of his remote oil filters. He also used some cast iron to plumb his headache rack for engine coolant. I'm not kidding.......
I'd like to hear more about this engine coolant to the headache rack thing.
Now I understand if he had a Ford and was running coolant through tubes behind the bumper for when he has to push it in the cold weather but I'm a little confused as to the purpose of a heated headache rack. [emoji16]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk
"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - Supercharged111

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about this engine coolant to the headache rack thing.
Now I understand if he had a Ford and was running coolant through tubes behind the bumper for when he has to push it in the cold weather but I'm a little confused as to the purpose of a heated headache rack. [emoji16]

lol.....it is indeed a Ford. It is the F-150 4wd version of Farm Truck on Outlaw Street Racers. There's not a straight piece of sheetmetal on the truck. He painted it with a brush. 6" lift, 35" tires. Lurking under the hood is a nicely built 460. He recently installed a FiTech TB system on it. Did a nice job of it including installing the electric fuel pump in the original tank.

He can idle along in second, blip the throttle once, mash it, and it'll lift the front tires off the ground--with 3.42 gears no less.

Every rebuilt Ford cast iron V-8 I've been around wants to run warm, the headache rack was an attempt to keep it cool......

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol.....it is indeed a Ford. It is the F-150 4wd version of Farm Truck on Outlaw Street Racers. There's not a straight piece of sheetmetal on the truck. He painted it with a brush. 6" lift, 35" tires. Lurking under the hood is a nicely built 460. He recently installed a FiTech TB system on it. Did a nice job of it including installing the electric fuel pump in the original tank.

He can idle along in second, blip the throttle once, mash it, and it'll lift the front tires off the ground--with 3.42 gears no less.

Every rebuilt Ford cast iron V-8 I've been around wants to run warm, the headache rack was an attempt to keep it cool......
I knew it had to be some ford thing. [emoji1787]

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If, aluminium heads (or block) have ever been used back in the day when radiators were made from brass and copper then that would suggest that they can all be combined. I'm guessing in European cars it was commonplace.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If, aluminium heads (or block) have ever been used back in the day when radiators were made from brass and copper then that would suggest that they can all be combined. I'm guessing in European cars it was commonplace.
Different coolant chemistry is required for different metals although some coolant covers pretty much all metals some do not.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tee fitting is 3/4 on 2 legs and 5/8 on one( or maybe the reverse, I don't remember since it was 3 years ago when mine got changed). Anyway they are not all the same size. If you change to all one size you will need to replace the curved heater hose. I think I wrote down the Gates part number for the one I and my parts store lady found that fits. But you can't use just a piece of regular heater hose because it will kink closed.
I think the Y is all one size but not sure. I have a new one but haven't installed it yet. Everyone else at the park has dogs so draining any coolant here is not a good idea.
What Dad did on the other 99 Burb we had was find brass tubing that would slip fit in the plastic tee and heater control valve fittings. We cracked 2 HCVs by tightening up the clamp too much. But if it wasn't tight it would leak.... Hobby Lobby is a good place to buy that brass tubing, or if you have a good hobby shop in your area. It's K&S brand, comes in one foot sticks. Not super expensive last time I bought any. Epoxy it in place if it doesn't fit tightly.

If you got those part# I'll be sure to look for em