Suburban down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Yeah, our monsoon season starts on June 15. It used to be when the dew point went above 54* but, I guess that was too scientific for the average person and maybe meteorologists too :anitoof:

Nah, now they just get a more predictable window to blaster the news with sensationalized "monsoon watch" and act like hot, sweaty weather is abnormal here and run 47 different stories on how to survive the heat like it doesn't happen every year, or we're too dumb to remember.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every intake I've removed (or helped) had what looked like an oily film on it. Often a carbon looking substance also. With my trucks I generally run name brand, mid grade gas in them, and they still have that in the lower intake, and often have that carbon substance in the upper intake.

Even when a friend ran Seafoam through his shortly before removing his intake, it still had that oily and carbon stuff in the intakes.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every intake I've removed (or helped) had what looked like an oily film on it. Often a carbon looking substance also. With my trucks I generally run name brand, mid grade gas in them, and they still have that in the lower intake, and often have that carbon substance in the upper intake.

Even when a friend ran Seafoam through his shortly before removing his intake, it still had that oily and carbon stuff in the intakes.

Awesome that's good to know. I'm gonna try to clean up everything as good as possible before I install it on the new motor. Seems like this is caked with oil or some type of vasoline lol

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome that's good to know. I'm gonna try to clean up everything as good as possible before I install it on the new motor. Seems like this is caked with oil or some type of vasoline lol

Use throttle body cleaner, it cleans the both the oily and carbon stuff off almost immediately.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I wasn't able to fully clean the intake on my 4.3 when I did the gaskets. I had like 2 or 3 carb cleaner aeresol cans. Used them as best as I could and then put the darn thing back together.

Maybe a parts washer with mineral spirits would be a better option? I'm planning on doing a tranny rebuild and looks like the parts washer is a must?

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres the latest progress. Btw does anybody know where I can get new fuel o rings????..... these turned into dust.....

See if you have a good local hardware store and check there. I’m not talking your Ace or True Value. I work at the local one in town where I live that’s been open since 1928. We have probably 150 different o rings.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I wasn't able to fully clean the intake on my 4.3 when I did the gaskets. I had like 2 or 3 carb cleaner aeresol cans. Used them as best as I could and then put the darn thing back together.

Maybe a parts washer with mineral spirits would be a better option? I'm planning on doing a tranny rebuild and looks like the parts washer is a must?

I was thinking that since my job has one but then I figured a brush and gasoline might work to save time and smelling up my car lol. I'll probably do a throttle body cleaner first to clean up all the loose oily sludge