Suburban down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a second trickle charger/maintainer. I bought a Noco 1 earlier this year. I'm a little afraid of the HF chargers..... I've heard everything from them simply not working to possibly a tale or two about them catching fire.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a second trickle charger/maintainer. I bought a Noco 1 earlier this year. I'm a little afraid of the HF chargers..... I've heard everything from them simply not working to possibly a tale or two about them catching fire.

I was nervous about that. But then again I plan on having the suburban running next year lol. If I knew it was gonna be parked for a super long exten period then I would probably go the name brand more expensive route lol

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes when we had our parts store, we had a big work bench that Dad built to be a battery bench. Had a big charger on it, and bins for tools and stuff. Every battery we sold got charged before it left the building. Even if we'd gotten it in a day or 2 earlier. And we sold you the size and CCA your vehicle required. No cheapies. Too many comebacks in Houston heat and humidity!

The way I learned about this was that I bought a Cadillac battery for an old Diesel Benz I had and the new battery would not turn the Benz over fast enough to start it. I called the parts place and the senior guy there explained the overnight charge bit to me. He didn't know i had bought it for a Benz . The old Benz's came with two heavy duty six volt batteries in series so the Caddy battery was on the ragged edge of not big enough.

RE HF chargers. I don't know about those. I only have the solar maintainer . My trickle charge is an American brand I have had for many years. It will charge at 6 amps or 2 amps. It will bring up the truck battery overnight.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a big charger on it, and bins for tools and stuff. Every battery we sold got charged before it left the building.
Do you remember when the batteries came dry with an electrolyte pouch with a rubber hose? You fill the cells and charge the battery for a couple/three hours before putting it in service.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you remember when the batteries came dry with an electrolyte pouch with a rubber hose? You fill the cells and charge the battery for a couple/three hours before putting it in service.

I swear I remember seeing my dad and grandpa do a couple of those when I was a little kid...

It's pretty cool how battery technology has advanced over the years. I use one of these old Exide jars as a change container.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've seen them, but that way was probably a little bit before my time. We had batteries from several local suppliers, and they all came in "wet" as I recall. Put holes in many a shirt and jeans around that bench.
Some of the other batteries must've come "dry" because I just remembered a big box that had a large bag of battery acid in it, with a vinyl tube and a shutoff valve, and having to be careful about filling the cells. Looked kinda like the bag in box things for a carbonated drink machine......just more dangerous!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got pretty much all the LEDs installed in the cluster. Security light stayed dim on and abs. Installed bulbs back in those too and so far back to normal. Hopefully looks about right. just need the seatbelt light and DRL. Also got leds in hvac.