Steering slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont lie to the man they are not easy. Just did mine on a 4wd like everything else the right tools are needed. I recommend air tools pickle fork.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Chris, I'll be puttin the jeep shaft in my truck. It won't be this week, but it'll be soon.. And I'll take pictures out the wazoo. The idler arm is easy as pie on a lifted truck! Especially the 2 bolt early trucks (like yours and mine) pitman arm was more difficult.

First take it loose from the bar connecting it to the idler arm and tie rods, then I had to unbolt the steering box from the truck and maneuver it to get the pitman arm puller on it, once it's on there, it's easy to remove.

I've replaced everything from the pitman arm down.

Might as well do the tie rods while you're at it.

And I see your sig Chris, I'll one up you

Last edited:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
They took the whole box out.. I guess if you're replacing the box too, go ahead, but I was able to do mine without removing the box. No wonder the shop that told me it was out wanted $200 labor to change it and right side ball joints.

I'd just do it when you put the lift on so that way it'll be easier to get to it all

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im interested in the xj shaft too... ive done all my ball joints and idler/pitman arms. the upper bj is a pain if they are the oirginal. idler arm is easy unbolt it take it off truck use puller to remove it and put new one. my pitman arm we did in buddys garage somehow got it forward to put the puller on. it came off pretty easy actually ahha. truck drove better once i did the pitman arm(did it a month ago other stuff in september) still have sloppy steering i can feel it go everywhere when im in the fields and stuff i go offroad at. i hate my front end lol

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
That's the exact thing I did. Replaced everything and still had a lot of slop. Like I said, I'll be getting the jeep shaft probably late next week and put it in when it gets here and take lots of pics