Steering shaft slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really sure if this is the right spot to post I am new here but I recently picked up a 1990 GMC k1500 with a 5.7 4spd and it has some weird steering wheel slop going back and forth. I can see it moving in and out at this joint but I am wondering if there is something loose in the column? Wondering if anyone has seen this before if it is something else
Dump that OEM crap and upgrade it to a Jeep Cherokee XJ ('84-'94) U-bolt steering shaft like I did.

Attachments

• 2015-01-31 - used u joint steering shaft - off of a jeep.jpg
    2015-01-31 - used u joint steering shaft - off of a jeep.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 8

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tie your steering wheel to something before you take that rag joint apart. If it spins around you will kill your airbag.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The OP has a '90. The Jeep shaft works fine on the early GMT400s. I have one on my '89, and I can assure you there are no unsupported U-joints. The later GMT400s added a U-joint, and swapping a Jeep shaft onto them is a disaster waiting to happen.
What year is the cut off for working and not working?

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OP has a '90. The Jeep shaft works fine on the early GMT400s. I have one on my '89, and I can assure you there are no unsupported U-joints. The later GMT400s added a U-joint, and swapping a Jeep shaft onto them is a disaster waiting to happen.
I concur since mine is a '92 as it is stated on my profile. The Jeep shaft does not work on '95-'99 GMT 400.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tie your steering wheel to something before you take that rag joint apart. If it spins around you will kill your airbag.
He's got a '90,no airbag!

The rag joint may be bad and more than likely is but the OP is asking about slop at the top of the telescoping shaft and what I'm seeing looks like the lower column bearing is worn out and allowing to shaft to walk back and forth.
Elliot, can you put up a video of what you're seeing to verify?