Steering slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Ok, so a 84-96 XJ intermediate steering shaft will work right? Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on one or not. Saw a couple at the yard today but the cab-side of the shaft looked like too much of a B*tch to try to get to.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My steering box has some slop, but the rag joint does too. What is so special about the Jeep shaft?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Did this swap last week. Simple as pie! Took me longer to get the plastic cover off the rag joint/lower connection than to do the job. Had to cut it off with my dremel.
BIG diff! Much more positive feel.
Now I just need to get the front re-aligned with a bit more toe-in, due to the tires extra width & the drag that that causes.
I can hold a line much better through the corners, without the unpredictible twitchiness from the rag joint. Much, much better!
A very worthwhile upgrade, that only cost me $20.00 for the Jeep shaft, some paint, & a bit of bearing grease.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I went through 2 to get one without a screwed up universal. Didn't realize that the first one was junk until after I got it all cleaned up. Thought that it was just dirt causing it to feel a little funky. Both needed to be heated up to get them to collapse. The first one was like butter. 30 seconds of the torch & it came apart. The second one took quite a bit more, but it was rusty inside. A couple of minutes on the wire wheel, then some bearing grease & it was like new.
You'll be able to see when it's ready to come apart when the plastic/wax/glue, whatever that stuff is, starts to bubble out the top of the connection point of the two shafts.
A small blue bottle propane torch worked on the first one, but for the second, a proper torch with a large orifice tip worked much better.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to see a pic of one of these shaft's that you guy's are installing to see if it will work or could be made to work on 95+.