Steering slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
So my steering is pretty sloppy right now...like bad. It's pretty much the last thing I have left to address before I am done with the restoration part of my modifications and get to the fun stuff.

So, where should I start? Pitman and idler arms? Is there a way to adjust the steering box/gear? I've seen the thread about getting a Jeep shaft with U-joints, but I don't want to drop that much money on new shaft and I'm not sure how to tell if that is where my play/slop is or not.

Any help is appreciated!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how many miles your truck has on it, but if it's in the upper 100K close to 200K then I would replace everything that hasn't already been replaced and make it like new, steering gear, pitman arm, idler arm with frame bracket, inner and outer tie rod's, and ball joint's, it should be like new. Of course all in Moog! I have done that on several truck's I have owned and it's expensive but it really makes them drive nice!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'll make it part of the lift install and do that. I was leaning towards Raybestos since this isn't a daily driver and I've had good results in the past with their stuff. Is it worth it to get the AC Delco steering box over the cheaper brands?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly I have never bought an AC Delco steering gear, the only one I ever had a problem with was one that I bought from Auto Zone, it seemed to get sloppy in a hurry!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
How much of a pain in the a** is changing the pitman and idler arms? I may go ahead and order them.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed everything out when my truck had about 85k I had my steering box rebuilt at a shop locally.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check around some. I bought a complete front-end rebuild kit that was a fair amount cheaper than buying the parts individually.

*edit* 88-96 Cherokee for the shaft. But not a Grand Cherokee, apparently.