Starter wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the purple wiring in the diagram. The part that is circled, that wire should go to orange in my other photo?

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yes,the little wire goes to your orange circle. DON'T put any wires on the Blue stud that is for a heat shield that your starter is missing

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the purple wire (smaller red wire, was added before I got it) does that go to the blue circle or orange?

I know the wire from positive battery terminal goes to the red circle.

Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The stud with the loose nut circled in Blue is for the torque strap to keep the starter from snapping off the bolts and/or damaging the block... and possibly a heat shield as mentioned above.

It's a must-install piece on the 6.2 & 6.5 diesels. I'd install it on the small and big block motors as well. GM didn't install stuff like this for fun. Every nut, bolt, and bracket costs money. If they could leave it off they would.

Vjcamp

Reaction score
Starter grounds thru the housing- just be sure mounting surfaces are clean.

You can voltage drop test starter ground with Voltmeter. One lead to battery negative the other to starter housing....should be .2V of less with the starter cranking. ( Takes two people to do this test. ) If greater than .2V add another ground right to the starter mounting bolt.

Jbaer

Reaction score
89 c2500 here only 2 wires going to starter then ground strap off the firewall. Does the purple wire go to the right terminal or the left. I know the big red goes to the top center. Not sure where the ground goes to. Please help thanks

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
89 c2500 here only 2 wires going to starter then ground strap off the firewall. Does the purple wire go to the right terminal or the left. I know the big red goes to the top center. Not sure where the ground goes to. Please help thanks
the starter doesnt get a ground directly but nothing stopping from doing that. The old gm way of doing it was the alternator bracket(starter through the engine to the bracket) to the battery, but then GM changed course and did the cable to the block which is good idea. then to battery. You should run a cable to your water pump or brackets somehow on top and to your block if you can, but you also need a ground from the frame and the fenders/core support(1 is fine) to the battery

Jbaer

Reaction score
the starter doesnt get a ground directly but nothing stopping from doing that. The old gm way of doing it was the alternator bracket(starter through the engine to the bracket) to the battery, but then GM changed course and did the cable to the block which is good idea. then to battery. You should run a cable to your water pump or brackets somehow on top and to your block if you can, but you also need a ground from the frame and the fenders/core support(1 is fine) to the battery
Will do thanks for the help. Does the purple wire go to the right side of the solenoid or the left?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The blue circle looks like it would ground....or hold a heat shield.
Yes that's where the heat shield bolts up. IIRC the IGN. terminal on the solenoid, where the purple wire goes, is on the left side of the big battery terminal. Newer solenoids have only one small terminal, but the aftermarket ones usually have two(so one part can fit more applications).
Looking at the picture more closely though, I guess the right side small one is the one that the purple wire goes on. It's cleaner than the left one.... I remember having to be sure the big and little wires/terminals do not touch each other, but can't recall which side the little one was on....
It's been a while since I did that job!