Auto starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Warrum

Reaction score
92 Yukon. 5.7. Just put auto starter on. When auto start cranks sounds like it’s having trouble getting the crank speed up to start. Would a high torque starter help this issue. As far as I know and I haven’t looked yet still has the original starter on it. Just figured a high torque starter would help crank this big engine. Any thoughts by you more experienced guys out there would. E appreciated. Thanks all!!!!

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having a remote start "shouldn't" make the starter crank any slower than using the key. All it does is send a trigger signal to the starter relay to make it engage. Are you saying with the key it turns over no problem??

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated, your remote start shouldn't have any bearing on how fast the starter cranks. Make sure your power and ground cables are clean and tight.

Jason Warrum

Reaction score
No i understand that the remote start doesn’t have anytnng to do with speed of cranking. And it’s doesn’t crank any longer with the remote start than with the key. I am simply asking/saying that would a high torque starter crank the 5.7 faster. Its starts up everytime with the key and the remote start. Just seems to me maybe the starter is getting weaker being a 32 yr old truck that a high torque starter would crank stronger/faster. Just sling would a high torque crank stronger/faster than a typical OEM starter.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 32 year old starter may very well be getting tired. I would check all connections(grounds too)and verify battery is good first.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn’t hurt to put a new starter on it. A vortec mini starter bolts right in.

Jason Warrum

Reaction score
A 32 year old starter may very well be getting tired. I would check all connections(grounds too)and verify battery is good first.
I have checked the connections. I’m pretty sure the original starter is just getting weak. I’m a tinkerer I would never call myself a mechanic. So I like to have experienced people give me there opinions/ideas so I can learn more.