Help with Auto Dimming Door/Side Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1999 Suburban with big ole‘ electric tow mirrors. While they are functioning, I have no need for them at the present time and, well,,, they’re just “not my look” so I would like to go back to stock mirrors. The RPO code says it had electric/heated/autodimming mirrors (DD0).

My question: What should the connector/plug look like on an auto dimming mirror look like?

Why am I asking? While my research tells me auto dim replacements are hard to find, I did find one (passenger) at Rock Auto. I orderer and received it. But, before I start taking anything apart I wanted to confirm it wasn’t an incorrect listing. I assume this confirmation can be made via pin configuration(or did it have a completely different plug/connector?). Please see below Pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, any leads on a set, or a drivers door auto dim, would also be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpeg
    IMG_5832.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5833.jpeg
    IMG_5833.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 8

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The auto dim heated electric mirror is an 8 wire plug, 2 wire for each movement motor, 2 for heat, 2 for dimming

You got the correct plug, its just not wired for auto dimming

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The auto dim heated electric mirror is an 8 wire plug, 2 wire for each movement motor, 2 for heat, 2 for dimming

You got the correct plug, its just not wired for auto dimming
When you say “movement motor” you mean 2 wires for left/right and 2 wires for up down?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct. It's DC powered motors. When you operate the mirror switch for movement power goes in one direction. When you switch to opposite direction you reverse the power for opposite movement.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It's been my understanding, with the GMT400 platform at least, that the heated mirrors were on both sides, but dimming ONLY on the driver side. I've yet to find a passenger mirror in a junkyard with both.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been my understanding, with the GMT400 platform at least, that the heated mirrors were on both sides, but dimming ONLY on the driver side. I've yet to find a passenger mirror in a junkyard with both.
Dimming was both sides

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I Don’t have an auto dimming mirror. Ok. I‘ll put that on my wish list. But, I do have the correct plug for a vehicle equipped with DDO.

With that said, I looked up the elephant ear mirrors currently on the suburban. They come with 4 wire plugs, 4 wire pig tails, presumably to splice into the vehicles wire harness (And make me miserable). If this is the case and I have to take my wiring harness back to original, what are my options? Is there a source for OEM type connectors or generic connectors? Junk yard?

I guess it’s time to open up the patient.

Thanks to all of you for your help.