New Gentex auto dimming mirrors w compass (cheap)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Never say always. There are always exceptions to the rule. The Kia auto dimming with compass but without the homelink is a 2 wire mirror. I have one of these brand new for one of my vehicles. The homelink adds the 3rd wire for the memory.
Cool, never seen one that way but we used to run them switch power and ground only on 89 5 series since they didn’t hav3 the reverse lead on the headliner factory, they jsut didn’t undim in reverse. Not saying you are wrong at all, just Never seen on3 need constant and switched, especially not for homelink. It shouldn’t lose programming, none of mine ever did even with the car batteries disconnected for hours or days or even months. Not on mini, nor bmw pinned gentex, nor even the magnetti morelli I had till I swapped over to gentex in my e46.
but GM/Kia may have cheaped out on them and used eprom instead of flash memory or something.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
In that case I’d go look for a bmw/ mini one for $20 on eBay amd not have to deal with loosing homelink programming, just change the mount over at the ball socket To the truck type. Or if from a pick n pay grab the bmw harness out of the headliner to so you can tap in for the clown nose too if you have an alarm. Mid 2000 X3 have a stubby one that doesn’t look like Rudolph the red nose reindeer.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the extra wire for the memory. I am guessing on that. I have a homelink mirror as well. Bought both types of mirrors, my garage door opener is an ancient genie with 12 dip switches. Not gonna replace it until it's dead. It shows no signs of getting dead. I will read the destructions for the homelink equipped mirror and see what they mean about the 3rd wire. I am assuming if its constant hot it's for the memory.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any gentex autodim should have 3 wire hook up, (been doing these since the 90s on bmw). Switched Power, ground, and reverse trigger ( so the mirror will not dim in reverse At night).
i dont think all of them did that, but i would have to check my diagrams to see if thats just me not remembering the reverse trigger.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed my homelink KIA mirror in my new daily driver. Piece o cake. 3 wires. Ignition switched + , battery constant hot + , and ground. My Maverick has power going up in the overhead console are for the built in electric up there. So I de pinned the connector, tied in and used shrink tubing to make it tidy.

Your mirror should come with a compass calibration card that shows how to set it based on the area of the country your in because of the magnetic lines of flux. You drive in a clockwise circle slowly below 5 mph 3 times , then as it locks in, you input the area of the map of north america your in by number shown on the map. I was area 9. Its deviation from the in dash factory compass is slightly off.

Honestly I wouldent use either for trailblazing as it's a bit gimmicky lol. But for driving and using a paper map, it helps. But honestly I dont use paper maps anymore. Who does lol.

Running this in an older GMT400 would be a bit harder as you would have to run the wires up to it. Tech tip, the LH A pillar has a nice channel to run wires as that is used for cab roof lights. Still regardless of the effort required it's a nice setup for pennies. The good part is you can probably snag one of these out of the junky too. Now you have a reason to check the foreign car section. Heres pix

Attachments

• 20230512_125940.jpg
    20230512_125940.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230512_130140.jpg
    20230512_130140.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230512_132154.jpg
    20230512_132154.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230512_133148.jpg
    20230512_133148.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230512_142546.jpg
    20230512_142546.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 13

NickP

Reaction score
I jumped in on the $10 Kia rear view mirror (it was like $24 shipped). It was easy to install and now I have homelink for my garage door, self-dimming and a compass. It’s a nice, inexpensive upgrade. I also installed a Redarc trailer brake controller for safer towing.

NickP

Reaction score
Yeah, thank you for the hook up, $10 is hard to beat!!

I looked at several reviews before selecting Redarc. I chose the Liberty Brake Controller which is hidden under the dash and controlled by a small round dash switch that I mounted in one of the unused dashboard blanks. It blends in really well and has a stock appearance. I’ll post a photo of both the mirror and controller next time I hop in the truck.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are these plug and play with the oem wiring for the auto dim compass mirror? Mine cracked somehow

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, not plug n play, but if you probe your wires w a meter, you should be able to figure out the power/ground combo.