Starter wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am putting my truck back together and need some help.. I have the wiring diagram for the starter..

I'm not sure where the blue wire (with odd connector goes). It routed with the "purple" wire down to the starter.

The big "red (black from battery)" goes the big terminal on starter. The smaller "red (purple in wiring diagram) goes to terminal on outside of starter.

I believe I'm just missing my ground wires, which I might just jump the two and go to the frame. Unless there's another option...

Can someone help with the blue wire and if I'm correct with the others?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, there isn't a dedicated ground. The housing is the ground, and the circuit is completed through the ground strap that goes from the block to the frame.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, there isn't a dedicated ground. The housing is the ground, and the circuit is completed through the ground strap that goes from the block to the frame.
Yeah, on my 88 the battery negative terminal big wire goes to the block, the smaller wire goes to the fender, and the ground strap goes from the block to the frame.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, on my 88 the battery negative terminal big wire goes to the block, the smaller wire goes to the fender, and the ground strap goes from the block to the frame.
Should be the same here, some people put a dedicated ground on there, and if you have extra 4ga or 0ga laying around, it's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't go spend the money required to do it, I've always just used clean bolts, cleaned the mounting surface, and lined it with dielectric grease to keep it all free of rust and oxidation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all. Will show updates when I get it installed. Thanks!

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the machine shop didn't put my knock sensor back in..

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the purple wire (smaller red wire, was added before I got it) does that go to the blue circle or orange?

I know the wire from positive battery terminal goes to the red circle.

Thanks

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does the purple wire (smaller red wire, was added before I got it) does that go to the blue circle or orange?

I know the wire from positive battery terminal goes to the red circle.

Thanks

The blue circle looks like it would ground....or hold a heat shield.