Squirmin’ Wormin’ Tahoe!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah a new steering box is the last thing I'd do, after checking and replacing everything else up there that's in the system. A fancy new box won't fix a worn suspension.
The whole front end is brand new. The steering shafts are New too. I just ordered the 96 box from Redhead…, so we’ll see what happens.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boxes all bolt in place of one another. I believe they're different EVO vs non, but that doesn't mean Redhead doesn't have some magic that they can work.
96 Readhead box on the way. 15,000$ in this tahoe build already…, and the thing is touchy and all over the road!!! I’m definitely Not a fan of this EVO junk! Especially while lifted and in Big suspension and Big tires! I had planned to also do the 3in body lift by the time these 35s wear out and go with the 38s…, but with this thing so loose on the steering..,, there is No Way. Especially in the Ozark mountain roads! I need this steering tightened up for sure! Hopefully this 96 box will get me closer to it! I’ve got the aftermarket steering stabilizer. But need the dual shock stabilizer. But nobody makes one for the Tahoe. At least that would give me a little more stiffness on the wheel. I’ve lifted everything I’ve ever owned and Never seen what I’m experiencing here with this tahoe. It looks good but it steers like I’ve had a 12 pack!!!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the "loose" feeling you describe, however like I said I don't really get any of that on my '97s with factory pumps and EVO delete except at very low speeds. When you replaced the pump did you get a direct replacement for what you had previously?

I'm guessing your wheel/tire combo might have something to do with this. I ran some wide 18" wheels on my Suburban for a few years and it had similar issues. When I went back to factory size wheels and tires it drove so much better.

Welcome to the forum from another Missouri resident by the way. :) I'm about 3 hours north of you. Used to go to Lake of the Ozarks all the time.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the "loose" feeling you describe, however like I said I don't really get any of that on my '97s with factory pumps and EVO delete except at very low speeds. When you replaced the pump did you get a direct replacement for what you had previously?

I'm guessing your wheel/tire combo might have something to do with this. I ran some wide 18" wheels on my Suburban for a few years and it had similar issues. When I went back to factory size wheels and tires it drove so much better.

Welcome to the forum from another Missouri resident by the way. :) I'm about 3 hours north of you. Used to go to Lake of the Ozarks all the time.
Thanks for the welcome! Yes I purchased the 99 pump with the EVO delete tube already attached. I’ve read about guys on here saying that the 96 and older steering box from Redhead gear would make a difference.., so we’ll see. Tim at redhead said the 99 and 96 hoses would be the same.., son we’ll see about that I guess too. I’ve built 70s and 80s 4x4 with lifts and big tires.., and just never experienced this before. My wife wants this first Gen tahoe or I’d just cut my losses and go back 80s. At this point I just need this 96 box to give me a tighter feel. These curves up here in these mountains demand a tighter feel. Thanks for the back and forth! I’ll post a follow up when this new box is on this weekend.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've also heard that the '96 (pre-EVO) boxes have a slightly tighter (less assisted) feel than the '97+ do. I'm curious if that's the case. Please do update us, if the '96 box solves your issue I may consider going that route on my '97s at some point. I don't mind them as they are but if I knew for sure that I could cure the slight over-assist at slow speeds with a '96 box, I'd at least consider it.

Last edited:

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard that the '96 (pre-EVO) boxes have a slightly tighter (less assisted) feel than the '97+ do. I'm curious if that's the case. Please do update us, if the '96 box solves your issue I may consider going that route on my '97s at some point. I don't mind them as they are but if I knew for sure that I could cure the slight over-assist at slow speeds with a '96 box, I'd at least consider it.
Will do! The 96 box from Redhead was 316$ with 150$ core. Just FYI

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here... But based on what I've been reading (and the fact that both the steering gear and PS pump have different part numbers in '97 vs '96) it seems like a '96 pump and '96 steering gear might be the best combo if you're looking for the least assisted feel possible.

So if the '96 steering gear from Redhead doesn't solve your issue, maybe try a '96 pump with it?

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here... But based on what I've been reading (and the fact that both the steering gear and PS pump have different part numbers in '97 vs '96) it seems like a '96 pump and '96 steering gear might be the best combo if you're looking for the least assisted feel possible.

So if the '96 steering gear from Redhead doesn't solve your issue, maybe try a '96 pump with it?
That’s what I was thinking as well. The guy Tim at Readhead told me that the 96 and 99 pump are the same.., except for the EVO stuff that comes off on the delete! So since I’ve got a new 99 pump now without the EVO mechanism on it and just the delete U tube.., it should be the same as having the 96 pump! If I’m wrong and if he’s wrong I’d like for someone to bring me up on the facts here. Because of the 96 pump bolts up to this 99 and is a better feel with the pressure valves then that’s what I’ll do. Tim said the pressure valves in the 99 snd 96 are the same. But I don’t know if that correct or not. He said the different feel is in the box.., not the pump and the valves. If you run upon anything about that this week I’d appreciate hearing about it. I just can’t find anything on the net that is rock solid about it.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the redhead doesn't help try a bluetop. The good talent at redhead left and started their own shop when redhead starting pushing quantity over quality.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, big lift, big tires, sticking out from the body... check.
Complaint sounds like big tires have too much leverage over the OE steering linkage.
Do you have any steering dampers? Should have a single with 33's, I suggest dual with 35"s on a street vehicle.

Alignment in spec? What is the actual caster? How about adding a half degree more? Caster doesnt wear tires, but it will increase feel and steering wheel returnability.

What is the camber? My experience says wide tires sticking out from the body, and the scrub radius, wears outer edges fast. I'd run camber at 0° to -0.25°

FYI: not enough caster will make the truck wiggle and wander driving down the road

Last edited: