Squirmin’ Wormin’ Tahoe!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, big lift, big tires, sticking out from the body... check.
Complaint sounds like big tires have too much leverage over the OE steering linkage.
Do you have any steering dampers? Should have a single with 33's, I suggest dual with 35"s on a street vehicle.

Alignment in spec? What is the actual caster? How about adding a half degree more? Caster doesnt wear tires, but it will increase feel and steering wheel returnability.

What is the camber? My experience says wide tires sticking out from the body, and the scrub radius, wears outer edges fast. I'd run camber at 0° to -0.25°

FYI: not enough caster will make the truck wiggle and wander driving down the road

I've always been told that steering dampers just hide problems and a good condition system doesn't need them. Is that different on these GM ifs systems?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always been told that steering dampers just hide problems and a good condition system doesn't need them. Is that different on these GM ifs systems?

In a way, they do mask loose parts. But in this instance its the leverage effect of oversize tires and negative offset wheels that may be contributing to steering wander.

Other full size trucks are equipped with them from the factory, though they are of the solid axle variety.
OE designers feel there's a need for them, with ordinary size tires, then who am I to argue for the removal. I believe that their benefits outweigh the potential side effects.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here... But based on what I've been reading (and the fact that both the steering gear and PS pump have different part numbers in '97 vs '96) it seems like a '96 pump and '96 steering gear might be the best combo if you're looking for the least assisted feel possible.

So if the '96 steering gear from Redhead doesn't solve your issue, maybe try a '96 pump with it?

I have a <96 Bluetop in my 98 two door and it’s pretty tight, much more so than two other 98s that I have with the “correct” gearbox with and without EVO.

When I first swapped the gearbox, I left the EVO pump in place and functioning. The pump eventually went out and I put in a bypassed pump. With and without EVO, the 96 box had the exact same steering effort in the Tahoe.

But there is one difference that I noticed in the pumps. I borrowed the picture from the internet, but of the two reman pumps that I’ve bought (both equipped with the EVO bypass) they both had the “puck” on the left. Not sure of the correct name for it, but my stock 98 pumps looked like the one on the right. Note the washer under the nut.

You must be registered for see images attach

The GM EVO bypass kit does not include this component.

Not wanting to risk having to redo the job, I swapped the “washer” puck from the 98 EVO pump to the reman bypass pump. Steering effort did not change.

It would be interesting to see if the non-washer puck made any difference when using either a 96 or a 97 gearbox.

Last edited:

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the redhead doesn't help try a bluetop. The good talent at redhead left and started their own shop when redhead starting pushing quantity over quality.
I went ahead and went with Redhead yesterday. It’s on its way. We’ll see how this goes. I ordered one for a 96. But I’ve heard good things about bluetop as well.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, big lift, big tires, sticking out from the body... check.
Complaint sounds like big tires have too much leverage over the OE steering linkage.
Do you have any steering dampers? Should have a single with 33's, I suggest dual with 35"s on a street vehicle.

Alignment in spec? What is the actual caster? How about adding a half degree more? Caster doesnt wear tires, but it will increase feel and steering wheel returnability.

What is the camber? My experience says wide tires sticking out from the body, and the scrub radius, wears outer edges fast. I'd run camber at 0° to -0.25°

FYI: not enough caster will make the truck wiggle and wander driving down the road
Yes there is an after market steering stabilizer. It’s a single because nobody makes a dual for a 90s Tahoe. The alignment was done a couple weeks ago but i don’t know the numbers. The EVO has been the major culprit here. I’ve got a 96 Redhead steerbox on the way. If this doesn't get tighter steering I’ll keep trying other things. Thanks for the response.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a <96 Bluetop in my 98 two door and it’s pretty tight, much more so than two other 98s that I have with the “correct” gearbox with and without EVO.

When I first swapped the gearbox, I left the EVO pump in place and functioning. The pump eventually went out and I put in a bypassed pump. With and without EVO, the 96 box had the exact same steering effort in the Tahoe.

But there is one difference that I noticed in the pumps. I borrowed the picture from the internet, but of the two reman pumps that I’ve bought (both equipped with the EVO bypass) they both had the “puck” on the left. Not sure of the correct name for it, but my stock 98 pumps looked like the one on the right. Note the washer under the nut.

You must be registered for see images attach

The GM EVO bypass kit does not include this component.

Not wanting to risk having to redo the job, I swapped the “washer” puck from the 98 EVO pump to the reman bypass pump. Steering effort did not change.

It would be interesting to see if the non-washer puck made any difference when using either a 96 or a 97 gearbox.
Thank you for responding. I’ve got the 96 redhead on the way. Can i put a 96 pump on this 99? Tum at Redhead said the pumps would be the same but I don’t know. I just figure a 96 pump, hoses and box would give me 96 steering. I just don’t know if it would matter!? He said the pump And valving was identical. Just don’t know if the bracketing and bolt holes for the AC bracket would line up.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a way, they do mask loose parts. But in this instance its the leverage effect of oversize tires and negative offset wheels that may be contributing to steering wander.

Other full size trucks are equipped with them from the factory, though they are of the solid axle variety.
OE designers feel there's a need for them, with ordinary size tires, then who am I to argue for the removal. I believe that their benefits outweigh the potential side effects.

Gotcha. Most of my experience is with Fords and we rarely use them, even factory. That's on TTB and solid axle though like you said, this is my first IFS vehicle.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha. Most of my experience is with Fords and we rarely use them, even factory. That's on TTB and solid axle though like you said, this is my first IFS vehicle.
I would agree with you that the big wheels, tires, lift and -44 offset could be the problem.., but I’ve had bigger lifts, much bigger tires and -76 offset on different trucks in the past, and nothing like this. I think chevrolet just dropped the ball in the mid to late 90s and it shows. Some folks tolerance and acceptance of it just differs. I’ve had lifted Ford, dodge and chevy. The 70s and 80s chevy trucks were alot better i guess. After this box is installed Everything in the front end will be brand new. All suspension in the rear is new as well!
Everything is torqued to spec and greased. Ive only had 1 90s truck and it was a 95 1500. But i just don’t remember it being this loose. Of course that!was 15 years ago.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard that the '96 (pre-EVO) boxes have a slightly tighter (less assisted) feel than the '97+ do. I'm curious if that's the case. Please do update us, if the '96 box solves your issue I may consider going that route on my '97s at some point. I don't mind them as they are but if I knew for sure that I could cure the slight over-assist at slow speeds with a '96 box, I'd at least consider it.
You asked for an update when I got the new redhead steering box on. We’ll yesterday I bolted up the 96 Readhead steering box to my 99 Tahoe.., and WOW!!!! The steering is really tight and it feels like a corvette or Mercedes. The play is gone and its really nice. Of course I have 35s with 12 in wheels and -44 offset to add to the feel.., but I think anyone who doesn’t like the loose feel of the EVO era Chevy would definitely like this.
So…, for folks with a 99 Tahoe or 1500 with loose steering issues, just get the 99 pump with the delete pipe already on it from O’reilys, (89$) and order the 96 steering box from Redhead. I just used the original 99 hoses. And for anyone who is wondering how to torque the pitman arm to 184lb.., just bolt the box to the frame on the fender-well side with a couple bolts and torque it.., then move it to the other side and bolt it up in the right location! I didn’t have a Vice. My advice to you is that you should try this box on one of your trucks and see how you feel about it. The 96 Redhead box was $316…+ core.