Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Here's some reading for you. Full version of FMVSS 108, current version.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966
(This is the Act that eventually established the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and its authority to write and enforce the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Originally located at 15 USC 1394-1410, it has been reorganized and is now located at 49 USC 301. Old to new location conversion of various subsections is here. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1394

Sections most frequently relevant to discussions on this forum include:

• Old USC 1397(a)(2) = new 49 USC 30122: Prohibits regulated parties to "render inoperative" a mandatory regulated device, system, or design feature; "render inoperative" can mean to remove, disable, damage, destroy, or alter the performance so it is no longer compliant.

• Old USC 1397(a)(1)(A) = new 49 USC 30112(a): Prohibits the manufacture, importation, introduction into interstate commerce, offer, or sale of vehicles or items of regulated vehicle equipment not compliant with all applicable provisions of all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Next you want to find out what the legal definition of " regulated parties ".

If you want to disable the DRL, pull the fuse and simply turn on your headlights when driving during the day, no one will ever question you if they work or not.

DRL's are a safety provision to increase the vehicle conspicuity, and prevent collisions with both pedestrians and people that aren't paying attention.

While I agree with DRL's being mandatory safety equipment, there are times when you want them shut off, for example pulling into a driveway at night, lighting up your neighbors bedroom windows.

bingo....i agree with you on the safety aspects as well as the stealthability....haha, that ain't a word.

there has to be a way to switch the operation of them....that's what i'm really wanting to do.

thanks for that link....i actually found and read it last week, i hope others can benefit from it as well.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Having used fog lamps on 2 vehicles in the past, pattern makes all of the difference in the world, not necessarily color.

I would look for a projector based specialty fog lamp, it will have a crisp cut off line with no stray light, aimed properly it will work great for your needs. Not sure what is on the market these days.

The ones I have experience are no longer sold, they were available through an auto parts store I worked at 20 years ago, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter at the largest part of the housing, and had a metal housing with a large ( 2" or so ) lens.

that's an option i'll consider......back in the late '80's Hella was the first to explore different projector lamps if my memory serves me. i know they had advanced reflector tech, way ahead of the curve...i wanted them bad, but they were like $400 back in the day......were definitely top shelf stuff, out of my league.

i have to see how these work out first, they may do the job......i'm sure i can mount up some quality lamps from a reputable company......i only glanced at the ones in the bumper when i got it.....eventually we'll find out.

personally i found the amber to be less annoying to view in those conditions, but your dead nuts on with the quality of the beam.......it's all bout the beam....and the purpose of said beam.

good quality lighting isn't as easy as most would believe.......and it sure isn't cheap.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Police package Tahoes had a DRL disable switch, labeled as such installed in the instrument panel.

Picture of said DRL switch in post #4.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/stock-switches-mounted-on-the-dash.7009/#post-114143

thanks....i was sitting in my truck the other night measuring the empty spots on the dash for different rocker switches......stock switches with a relay system would definitely be nicer for a few things. especially correctly labeled switches.... i'll seriously consider this as i like STOCK things....or as close to it as i can get.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
thanks....i was sitting in my truck the other night measuring the empty spots on the dash for different rocker switches......stock switches with a relay system would definitely be nicer for a few things. especially correctly labeled switches.... i'll seriously consider this as i like STOCK things....or as close to it as i can get.

To answer your earlier question on DRL legality, all I can come up with is that in the United States, they are permitted, and installed as OE equipment in 1995+, but not required in any state.

Compliance requires headlamp use in inclement weather, and the specific legal wording is different from state to state.

AAA has a link to many laws, you can scroll down to New York.

I got the above information on DRL's from the IIHS website, and the question and answer was dated 2016.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/headlights/qanda

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
New York....headlights must be on when wipers are on......to put it simply as i remember. it's on signs posted on the side of highways......

it's a good law

i ALWAYS run with my high beam on during the day when on a bike......****, i have a strobe module for the LED tails on 2 of my bikes.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
there's a very good thread on here that inspired me to start this one, been going since '09....here it is....the last few posts are from the gent i was just talking about......here's his posts with included photos.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/page-40

i was going to update this information when i got the harness....but i'm glad he beat me to it.

Last edited:

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fyi late 90's, 97 I think Canada made DRLs mandatory and GM in particular left it in most if not all us models.
I put the Spyder lamps in my burb last November looks like the same ones you have. I pulled the grill and used the new buckets and there was enough adjustment in the bolt holes to get the grill back on. The right light sticks past the grill a 1/4" but over all I like them. Gonna try to raise the beam a bit more since I've had my wife follow as I was in the car and they can go up more with out to much glare.