Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. My Harley days are over. Rode 'em for over 40 years but I've some medical issues I'm dealing with now.

yea...i feel you....got hit good in '06...and again in June of '13. i'm 9 surgeries in so far in the last 5 years....just got some new nuts, bolts , bits and pieces added on Jan. 15th..zerks fittings next year for my neck......i did ride on the 14th and everyday before that...every day that i can swing a leg over...

good to "meet" you man......well wishes in the wind for your medical ****. i been on the hurricane deck since '86.....and i feel it all.....LOL

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Source for genuine HIR1 for high beams:

GM 25770739 ( Toshiba bulb in GM package ) - note Toshiba does not sell these bulbs other than OEM GM and Toyota, previously available in the aftermarket. These are the real deal.

HIR2 for low beams:

GM 23342527 Vosla +30 bulb in GM package )

hmmm.....those just may be an option to consider down the road.....i don't expect these Plilips bulbs to last forever.....thanks for that info....you sure got your GM part numbers down, seen it before

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
LOL. you still have to clear your own path.

and stomp my own snakes too...truth there

the gent from the 67-72chevytrucks.com site PM'ed me back, he has the harness in stock....i asked another question or two about the DRL's and when he gets back to me i'll order the rig from him......

this place is great.....wish these younger folks had ta do it the hard way like we did....LMFAO.

what we got accomplished today on this thread would have taken a frikkin month to do 20 years ago.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok...whilst i'm still wide awake and waiting to buy the harness let's keep going.....

i found this to disable the DRL's.....have to check for potential ramifications of this though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

another gent....

i never had that green light on my dash....maybe the bulb is out, but my DRL work. when i click my e-brake 1 click they go out too.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
onto other forward facing lights.

as i said i do most of my long distance drives at night......and inclement weather sometimes can be a *****....with just plain ol' low beams you're looking at a white wall in front of you.

yup, next topic is FOG lights.......fog lights as in bad rain, snow or fog. i've learned not to outrun my lights, especially on dead black rural roads......

real fog lights are meant to shine UNDER the crap your driving through....they're meant to be on by themselves, no other lights should be on as to obfuscate their purpose....they're not to fill in the void in front of you, or supplement your low beams......or have 6 lights on at the same time like the guy in that thread i posted...

bad weather, to me means the need to slow down a bit.....i want to see the side of the road so i can stay on it and not drive into a ditch or worse.

my next experiment will be with the new LMC front bumper with the little adjustable fog lights in it......my bumper is pretty shot anyway and i was going to replace it......this seems to kill two chickens with one stick. my truck isn't and probably won't be lifted so the height of this setup should work reasonably well.

here's the bumper....

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/CD/full.aspx?Page=73

You must be registered for see images

i have the bumper already. it's a well made piece, heavy gauge with good chrome... the lights have aluminum housings, glass lenses and i think are adjustable. i don't know what bulb it came with, it only says 12v 55W.....i'm hoping they're gonna be low enough to work as true FOG lights. time will tell..i didn't want lights UNDER the bumper for potential damage reasons. this would have been optimum as the lower the better, but ya can't have your cake and eat it too......in most cases.

i'll be putting my air dam back to reduce drag and maybe get the 1 mpg back i lost since i took it off.

i'm not sure what bulb i'll be using in these yet, ....i may go with amber, i'll try it first with what's in it.....i've had both amber and clear fogs, both have their good points.....maybe i'll coat the lens. the jury is still out on that

here's one i found. i may consider something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H710...rd_wg=HouzS&psc=1&refRID=R79XZV79R5YMF8FRBHDD

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
ok...whilst i'm still wide awake and waiting to buy the harness let's keep going.....

i found this to disable the DRL's.....have to check for potential ramifications of this though.

another gent....

i never had that green light on my dash....maybe the bulb is out, but my DRL work. when i click my e-brake 1 click they go out too.

Here's some reading for you. Full version of FMVSS 108, current version.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966
(This is the Act that eventually established the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and its authority to write and enforce the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Originally located at 15 USC 1394-1410, it has been reorganized and is now located at 49 USC 301. Old to new location conversion of various subsections is here. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1394

Sections most frequently relevant to discussions on this forum include:

• Old USC 1397(a)(2) = new 49 USC 30122: Prohibits regulated parties to "render inoperative" a mandatory regulated device, system, or design feature; "render inoperative" can mean to remove, disable, damage, destroy, or alter the performance so it is no longer compliant.

• Old USC 1397(a)(1)(A) = new 49 USC 30112(a): Prohibits the manufacture, importation, introduction into interstate commerce, offer, or sale of vehicles or items of regulated vehicle equipment not compliant with all applicable provisions of all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Next you want to find out what the legal definition of " regulated parties ".

If you want to disable the DRL, pull the fuse and simply turn on your headlights when driving during the day, no one will ever question you if they work or not.

DRL's are a safety provision to increase the vehicle conspicuity, and prevent collisions with both pedestrians and people that aren't paying attention.

While I agree with DRL's being mandatory safety equipment, there are times when you want them shut off, for example pulling into a driveway at night, lighting up your neighbors bedroom windows.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
onto other forward facing lights.

as i said i do most of my long distance drives at night......and inclement weather sometimes can be a *****....with just plain ol' low beams you're looking at a white wall in front of you.

yup, next topic is FOG lights.......fog lights as in bad rain, snow or fog. i've learned not to outrun my lights, especially on dead black rural roads......

real fog lights are meant to shine UNDER the crap your driving through....they're meant to be on by themselves, no other lights should be on as to obfuscate their purpose....they're not to fill in the void in front of you, or supplement your low beams......or have 6 lights on at the same time like the guy in that thread i posted...

bad weather, to me means the need to slow down a bit.....i want to see the side of the road so i can stay on it and not drive into a ditch or worse.

my next experiment will be with the new LMC front bumper with the little adjustable fog lights in it......my bumper is pretty shot anyway and i was going to replace it......this seems to kill two chickens with one stick. my truck isn't and probably won't be lifted so the height of this setup should work reasonably well.

here's the bumper....

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/CD/full.aspx?Page=73

You must be registered for see images

i have the bumper already. it's a well made piece, heavy gauge with good chrome... the lights have aluminum housings, glass lenses and i think are adjustable. i don't know what bulb it came with, it only says 12v 55W.....i'm hoping they're gonna be low enough to work as true FOG lights. time will tell..i didn't want lights UNDER the bumper for potential damage reasons. this would have been optimum as the lower the better, but ya can't have your cake and eat it too......in most cases.

i'll be putting my air dam back to reduce drag and maybe get the 1 mpg back i lost since i took it off.

i'm not sure what bulb i'll be using in these yet, ....i may go with amber, i'll try it first with what's in it.....i've had both amber and clear fogs, both have their good points.....maybe i'll coat the lens. the jury is still out on that

here's one i found. i may consider something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H710...rd_wg=HouzS&psc=1&refRID=R79XZV79R5YMF8FRBHDD

Having used fog lamps on 2 vehicles in the past, pattern makes all of the difference in the world, not necessarily color.

I would look for a projector based specialty fog lamp, it will have a crisp cut off line with no stray light, aimed properly it will work great for your needs. Not sure what is on the market these days.

The ones I have experience are no longer sold, they were available through an auto parts store I worked at 20 years ago, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter at the largest part of the housing, and had a metal housing with a large ( 2" or so ) lens.