Speaker upgrade suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do they fit in the pillars well?
Fit is a relative term. You can install them and they won't hit the OEM grill, but it's not a great fit. I had to massage the original opening a bit with a Dremel before it would lay evenly. This was on a 97, so I'm not sure if the earlier interior is the same.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, I didn't know RA had factory speakers.

What would you guys recommend for the rear pillar speakers for E-cab trucks? I'm going to replace my rear window on one of my trucks in the mid term future and intend to replace the speakers while I'm there.

Whatever u out back there make sure they are very good speakers so u don't have to do it again! My current truck has infinity reference 4" in a 4x6 to 4" adapter plate. They have been unhooked for quite a while now since they can't keep up with everything else but they are there and still work.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hasnt anyone ever mounted 6.5" speakers in the doors?
Anything has to be better than a 4x6

I use a 1.5" speaker spacer and mount 6.5s in the doors quite often, sound good like that, without a spacer most speakers r too deep to fit in the door panels tho. Have done 6x9s same way in doors, well worth the extra time.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome ideas. Thanks again.

What do y’all think of these?
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-4x6-Inch-Plate-Style-Speakers/dp/B000P0NJOO

I’ve heard good things about these component style speakers in comparison to regular ovals.

No doubt these will perform very well, anything Polk usually does, as well as the Infinity Kappa's that come up on the bottom of the amazon page. I can also recommend the Kicker CS series 4x6's, I have them in my truck (avoid the DS series, Kickers entry level line, does not perform the same). The key to the 4x6's is to limit the low frequencies going to it- I think I have mine rolled off around 360hz. Most modern amps will have a high pass filter built into them, but these are also available separately to wire up between the speaker and the amp (or head unit, if you're using that for amplification). And as others have said, there are many small subwoofers that are self contained and very easy to wire up. In particular, the Alpine 8" self powered will fit right under the seat, sounds great, and costs around $200.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No doubt these will perform very well, anything Polk usually does, as well as the Infinity Kappa's that come up on the bottom of the amazon page. I can also recommend the Kicker CS series 4x6's, I have them in my truck (avoid the DS series, Kickers entry level line, does not perform the same). The key to the 4x6's is to limit the low frequencies going to it- I think I have mine rolled off around 360hz. Most modern amps will have a high pass filter built into them, but these are also available separately to wire up between the speaker and the amp (or head unit, if you're using that for amplification). And as others have said, there are many small subwoofers that are self contained and very easy to wire up. In particular, the Alpine 8" self powered will fit right under the seat, sounds great, and costs around $200.
360 hz? I usually set my high pass at 100 hz, is that way too low?

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That's exactly what I have in back on my 98 c1500 ext cab, and these in the front.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-D...tronics&sprefix=db6501,electronics,192&sr=1-1

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's for a 2005 Tahoe, so just the fronts if you please. I'm installing a new head unit to see if the sound system needs more power, or if it'll suffice with Bluetooth and backup camera being added.

My application is a 98 c1500 ext cab, but if you have 6.5" openings, these will fit great. They have a separate tweeter that mounts in the existing door grill.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-D...tronics&sprefix=db6501,electronics,192&sr=1-1

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
360 hz? I usually set my high pass at 100 hz, is that way too low?

Yes 360 is too high, 100 probably ok, 120 is good if you are putting them on an amp. See what the speakers are capable of playing and add 10-15hz up from the lowest the speaker can play and you will be good. Reason to cut off higher than what they can play is that most xovers don't have a steep roll off and hpf at 80hz and u can still hear some 50hz because it cuts the frequencies off less "aggressively" ... Cut a bit higher than it'll play down tosto and all will be fine.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always set my 4x6s to roll off at around 120-160Hz. They just distort much lower than that, even the plate varieties. Good 6.5"s can go down as low as 60Hz.

EDIT - On a 12db slope. My head units have crossovers with adjustable slopes so I play with that from time to time but I always go back to 12.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always set my 4x6s to roll off at around 120-160Hz. They just distort much lower than that, even the plate varieties. Good 6.5"s can go down as low as 60Hz.

EDIT - On a 12db slope. My head units have crossovers with adjustable slopes so I play with that from time to time but I always go back to 12.
Ok, I'll keep that in mind during my next tune. I hate throwing more than 80-100 hz to my sub though. I usually roll the LPF off steep at 80-100 and set the HPF around 100-120 with a shallower curve. My infinity speakers tend to do well around that range in terms of distortion, albeit they lack the output of other brands, but why spend that much and not put in a sub?