Speaker upgrade suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cheapest Pyle co-axial speakers on Amazon don't fit under the factory grilles. Just sayin'.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
I saw a video that shows how difficult it was to replace the speakers on the rear pillars of an extended cab GMT400. Can someone provide info on their own experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really, at the time they weren't all that inexpensive but had good ratings, at least from the salesman, ha ha. They do give good response and crisp highs.

I have Polk all around, and bought a Polk 10" sub, too. Just have to get an enclosure for it. For me, they hit the sweet spot for value vs. performance. I can give you a run down on what I bought if that is of interest to you.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Polk all around, and bought a Polk 10" sub, too. Just have to get an enclosure for it. For me, they hit the sweet spot for value vs. performance. I can give you a run down on what I bought if that is of interest to you.
It's for a 2005 Tahoe, so just the fronts if you please. I'm installing a new head unit to see if the sound system needs more power, or if it'll suffice with Bluetooth and backup camera being added.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do urself a solid and get a 4x6 plate speaker , that way you get the clarity of a component set and the round 4" gives a bit more bass than an oval 4x6. I've been installing car audio equipment for the last 25 years and have not heard a single 4x6 that sounded worth a crap lol , but heard some pretty good 4x6 plates tho. Get yourself a set if bass blockers, hpf at 80hz and all should be good.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw a video that shows how difficult it was to replace the speakers on the rear pillars of an extended cab GMT400. Can someone provide info on their own experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Complete and total pain in the ass! My last truck I cut the factory slots out and mounted new speaker from the outside and used the grill that came with the speaker so it looked good and if I toasted one it was easy to replace

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently went down this road, so I'll chime in.

I feel your pain;
In my case, the passenger side speakers were both gone, so Van Halen wasn't what it was supposed to be on on only the left channel ;

You can get a really nice Pioneer speaker that is nearly a drop in replacement, with only a little bit of wiring needed for the plug end.

After I bought (procured from a local Walmart of all places!) a set of these Pioneer speakers, I noticed that the OHM reading of the original speakers was WAYYY off from the replacement Pioneers (or anything else on the aftermarket for that matter);
I read here, and other places that the replacement higher OHM speakers are louder than the OEM speakers, and that if you don't crank it up too far, or too often, you should be fine. But(!!) there is a viable risk of overheating and burning out your OEM amp, and I wanted to keep my original stereo/amp without risking having to scour eBay or wreckers in the coming years. So I went about returning the Pioneers, and bought OEM speakers off of Rockauto.

full

full

It doesn't get any more "plug and play" than this.

I also hate just about all the aftermarket radio setups for these trucks. With bluetooth/aux input technology were it is today, I didn't see the need to go down the rabbit hole of trying to find the best looking aftermarket radio;
I can get something like a redi-rad if I don't like my current tape collection, or the plug-in bluetooth am/fm transmitter that I already have.

Last edited:

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I feel your pain;
In my case, the passenger side speakers were both gone, so Van Halen wasn't what it was supposed to be on on only the left channel ;

You can get a really nice Pioneer speaker that is nearly a drop in replacement, with only a little bit of wiring needed for the plug end.

After I bought (procured from a local Walmart of all places!) a set of these Pioneer speakers, I noticed that the OHM reading of the original speakers was WAYYY off from the replacement Pioneers (or anything else on the aftermarket for that matter);
I read here, and other places that the replacement higher OHM speakers are louder than the OEM speakers, and that if you don't crank it up too far, or too often, you should be fine. But(!!) there is a viable risk of overheating and burning out your OEM amp, and I wanted to keep my original stereo/amp without risking having to scour eBay or wreckers in the coming years. So I went about returning the Pioneers, and bought OEM speakers off of Rockauto.

full

full

I also hate just about all the aftermarket radio setups for these trucks. With bluetooth/aux input technology were it is today, I didn't see the need to go down the rabbit hole of trying to find the best looking aftermarket radio;
I can get something like a redi-rad if I don't like my current tape collection, or the plug-in bluetooth am/fm transmitter that I already have.

Stick speakers are 8ohm I think and a replacement is going to be a 4 ohm. And it's exact opposite of what u said above, lower ohms louder they will be because there is less resistance . Most aftermarket radios will play fine at 2 ohms with a bit if extra heat, even though they are rated at 4 ohm loads. As for factory gm amplifier, I have put many replacement speakers in at a 4 ohm load and never had any issues.

Foos

Reaction score
Hasnt anyone ever mounted 6.5" speakers in the doors?
Anything has to be better than a 4x6

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I feel your pain;

full

full

Cool, I didn't know RA had factory speakers.

What would you guys recommend for the rear pillar speakers for E-cab trucks? I'm going to replace my rear window on one of my trucks in the mid term future and intend to replace the speakers while I'm there.