Spark Plug wire off 1988

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JudgeRusty

Reaction score
First post, Hey there!

My 1988 K1500 has been our extra vehicle since I got it as 2nd owner 20 years ago and replaced the lower end with a crate block and a crate transmission.
Short history: regular maintenance, tune ups. fairly reliable. Trouble earlier this year required new TBI. Later replaced coil and ICM and it ran better than ever.

Empty nester w sons grown and gone, so we wanted to use it more as everyday driver.

Recently, ran terrible beginning after about 10 miles. Suddenly chugging/missing. I pulled over and opened hood finding spark plug wire dangling and not connected to front plug on driver side. Reconnected and ran fine--freak deal, I thought.

Took off in it today, about 6 miles out, leaving red light, began chugging/missing and popping. Pulled over and same plug wire dangling loose again.

I have not inspected the plug or the inside of the wire (soon) but wire has good appearance and "snaps" on when I reconnect it.

Any advice?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems very odd. Is there something that can catch on the wire to pull it off? Extra-long plug wire wrapped around the steering shaft or something?

Spark plug loose, wiggles around as the combustion pressure changes?

Neighborhood cats under the hood?

If the boot isn't cooked from excess heat; and the metal plug terminal still snaps into place...I got nothin' else.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My OEM wires were on for (math) 26yrs and still no arcing or problems. I finally replaced them, did and ohm test and they were still good. As for neighborhood felines, I warn newbies if you let your cat out here in the country it will be eaten by a Fisher. Most learn from me, some do not.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
My OEM wires were on for (math) 26yrs and still no arcing or problems. I finally replaced them, did and ohm test and they were still good. As for neighborhood felines, I warn newbies if you let your cat out here in the country it will be eaten by a Fisher. Most learn from me, some do not.
I have 2 dogs and 15 cats. one of them likes to pull the wire off the knock sensor for a play toy.:mad:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which cylinder is the wire for? Oe wires were known issue on certain cylinders in early tbi

Also, I wonder if the plug or the wire end have arced the clearance to make the fit tight. My f150 coil had that, it doesn’t clasp it very tightly because of the removed metal from high discharge. Since they are OE wires, you were best replacing simply because the boots can arc through and appear fine.
The wire high tension run is usualy very robust when: no burns , no laying against a conductor or closely to another wire for any considerable length, no oil contamination to compromise the silicone and no abrasions or sharp object contact

You can technically reboot and re-place the ends on plug wires, if you invest in the tool, a quality boot set and high quality cable ends will outperform oe easily and update them to look a little sharper if that mattered

JudgeRusty

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but after closer inspection, no visible issues with the plug or with the connector inside the wire boot. I took pictures but they were unremarkable so I did not go to the trouble to post them.
I did adjust the wire in the guide/holder to give it a bit more slack.
No issues since...yet.
BTW we do have an outside cat.