Buy a Single Spark plug wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup I remember those cabinets, we had a couple behind the counter at our store! And yeah, you'd get the tape measure out, see how long the old wire was, and start looking at the box ends. The box end label had length and boot type on it....
~20 years ago we had a hanging rack of individuals in the office of the Autozone I worked for at the time.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taylor wires is a JOKE. Since they have changed ownership they will not sell you a single replacement either. They just want you to buy a $80-100 replacement set.

I put a set of SMPs on my 383 recently. SMP compared to a Taylor wire for the L31.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
The SMP’s are 8.5mm. What size are Taylor’s in picture?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had Taylor Spiro Pro's a long time ago, and I didn't care for the ends that went to the plugs. The wires seemed to work as well as anything else. I still have the box in my garage with pieces and parts stored inside :jester:

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parts stores used to have a metal rack with a hundred plug wires on it--various lengths, various angles and styles on the boots. A guy would pick the one that matched the best with the damaged wire.

We used to do this fairly often. Works fine. You can't tell that the one wire is a different color when the hood is shut.

I haven't seen one of those plug-wire racks in a few years. I bet the individual assembled plug wires can still be ordered, though.

Or buy the whole set, and keep the others for when the rat chews through the next one.
I just went thru this a week ago. #8 wire was bad so I went to the local Napa and they didn't have the correct boots. So I bought their 7mm set, now I'll keep the old ones as spares.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to trap/kill but I’d get one every night and got tired of messing with it. They breed faster than I can trap.
That Ketch-All trap I linked to can catch about a dozen with one winding. If you put the drowning attachment on it, it's a simple matter of dumping it out daily and rewinding. I've known people who've cleaned out barns full of mice with two or three of them. If you don't manage the mice, you'll get snakes, and around here that means copperheads.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update
I was wrong that major parts stores don't carry single spark plug wires in stores. I was searching under "vehicle specific" on Autozone but found that they have pages of single spark plug wires under "Universal".
That said, I couldn't find any information on the wires other than the little picture which appears to show ~ termination style. I'd guess the number in the part number may be length? And all stores don't carry all parts in house - some have some and others have others. So - it came down to stopping by one and walking in back to see what they have on the hooks and I found once close out of the 5 or so they had. Orielly said they don't carry any single wires in house.