Buy a Single Spark plug wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new set of AC Delco spark plug wires last year. Go out and truck is missing. &#$! pack rat has chewed thru the #6 plug wire. I only see off brand single wires at parts store which have to be ordered. I know people make wire sets but I’ve read it’s a pain and not sure I can buy short lengths? At least I didn’t find it with a bad attitude google search. I was about to reorder the whole set and hope next time the rat chews a different wire - but thought I’d ask here first. with all the experience I can’t be the first with this problem. Thanks in advance!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I see the #5 wire for my 454 on Rockauto. I don't know what engine you have, but maybe you can find the part number for the single wire on one of the dealer parts sites, and find it that way.

I used United Motor Products wires the last few times I've done wires on GM vehicles.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A real parts store, not big chains would have plug wire reels, boots, and the metal ends to crimp on with plug wire jaws. How about":Taylor wire products" ? Lots of ignition products. A good hot rod shop ?

thx1138v2

Reaction score
For future problems: save the bad plug wire and throw it on the ground under the truck. I own some rural property and run into this problem occasionally. The problem is that the rat will grab it and run off with it from time to time. That's why I save the entire old set when I change them now.

Peanut butter works well on rat and mouse traps.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check some of your local repair shops, they save the wires that are still good when they replace whole sets for customers. A shop near me had a full box to pick from when I needed one

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts stores used to have a metal rack with a hundred plug wires on it--various lengths, various angles and styles on the boots. A guy would pick the one that matched the best with the damaged wire.

We used to do this fairly often. Works fine. You can't tell that the one wire is a different color when the hood is shut.

I haven't seen one of those plug-wire racks in a few years. I bet the individual assembled plug wires can still be ordered, though.

Or buy the whole set, and keep the others for when the rat chews through the next one.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A real parts store, not big chains would have plug wire reels, boots, and the metal ends to crimp on with plug wire jaws. How about":Taylor wire products" ? Lots of ignition products. A good hot rod shop ?
Taylor wires is a JOKE. Since they have changed ownership they will not sell you a single replacement either. They just want you to buy a $80-100 replacement set.

I put a set of SMPs on my 383 recently. SMP compared to a Taylor wire for the L31.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Parts stores used to have a metal rack with a hundred plug wires on it--various lengths, various angles and styles on the boots. A guy would pick the one that matched the best with the damaged wire.

We used to do this fairly often. Works fine. You can't tell that the one wire is a different color when the hood is shut.

I haven't seen one of those plug-wire racks in a few years. I bet the individual assembled plug wires can still be ordered, though.

Or buy the whole set, and keep the others for when the rat chews through the next one.
Yup I remember those cabinets, we had a couple behind the counter at our store! And yeah, you'd get the tape measure out, see how long the old wire was, and start looking at the box ends. The box end label had length and boot type on it....

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.
I see the #5 wire for my 454 on Rockauto. I don't know what engine you have, but maybe you can find the part number for the single wire on one of the dealer parts sites, and find it that way.
I hadn’t thought of searching for the part number, I’ll do that and see what I find.
If nothing simple I’ll reorder the set and hope next time they chew thru a different wire.

For future problems: save the bad plug wire and throw it on the ground under the truck. I own some rural property and run into this problem occasionally. The problem is that the rat will grab it and run off with it from time to time. That's why I save the entire old set when I change them now.

Peanut butter works well on rat and mouse traps.
I used to trap/kill but I’d get one every night and got tired of messing with it. They breed faster than I can trap. This is my go to the hardware store truck and not a daily driver. As long as I drive it weekly I haven’t had too much trouble. It sat for a month idle and they got into it. I like the thought of sacrificial wire on ground. I’ll leave the broken one and see what happens.