Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Good evening folks hope everyone is doing well.
I have a silly dilemma so I decided to upgrade my plug wires to some fancy "heavy duty" Belden ones. I must say they are very nice wires we shall see how well they hold up over time.
So long story short im not sure but I may have messed up the plug wire orientation on the cap and the may be one off. My truck has always had a miss at idle im slowly working on it as I have time off.
I was wondering if someone had an actual diagram of the plug wires and where each one goes on the cap. maybe im just a dummy but it seems like every diagram I look at the distributer cap orientation is perfectly straight vs the cap on my distributer sits at a different orientation than the diagram and maybe I just don't know how to read a basic diagram haha.
I would love some advice and or a proper wiring/firing order diagram.
this is on a 1990 GMC K2500 350TBI/Turbo 400 trans

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone had an actual diagram of the plug wires and where each one goes on the cap
Not sure if this helps?
The manual has the recommended way to run them but it is a bit tough to see at least in mine...but you can make it out...... I think it's mostly important to make sure 5&7 do not cross...

When you're at #1 compression tdc, you can remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. That's where you start with the #1 plug wire...where the cap terminal is when you mount it...you should be able to see clearly which one it will be....... Ideally you want the rotor to be pointing at the number one spark plug but stuff happens...Mine is pointing more to the middle of engine....

Attachments

• SBCLValveLashAdjustment.jpg
    SBCLValveLashAdjustment.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good job on the diagram above that’s helpful for him.

A lot of people get confused about this and it’s understandable. The bottom line is that all the wires need to be in the same order around the cap however if the distributor is installed a few teeth off from the diagram above you can still get it running correctly by clocking the wires.

How I do it is setting a wine cork in the number 1 plug hole, crank it over by hand (Balancer bolt) slowly till the cork pops, then line up top dead Center on the balancer. Now you know you are on too dead center of the compression stroke for #1. I then drop the distributor into the engine and check to see how far it can be advanced and retarded. Functionally the important thing is ensuring you can get the adjustment you need without hitting anything. Cosmetically following that diagram above looks nice and the wires fit nice.

Once the distributor is in where you want it then start with plug 1 on the cap as the rotor will be at #1 position so just add the wire to the cap directly above the rotor.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
18436572 super easy even numbers on the drinkers side head light to fire wall 2468 odd numbers on the drivers side head light to fire wall 1357 the vortec and opti-juck is a little harder then the carb and tbi ones but still pretty easy