Solid rear window to sliding window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have replaced alot of these rear windows. Almost always with CR LAurance 3 pc sliders.
The early 400's were known for leaking with the factory glass, the adhesive failed. I don't remember if it was urethane.
Installed roperly they will not leak.
Make sure there is no rust in the pinchweld. There should be only epoxy, old urethane or factory paint. no body filler or refinish products. The glass prep needs to be done according to the adhesive manufscturers recommendations.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would stick to a solid window. On a regular cab the slider window eventually leaks and loses the sealing properties and you get whistle and rattle right by your head. It also doesn’t fully seal against outside noise. It’s annoying as heck. when I refurbish my truck it’s getting a solid rear window and as much sound deadening material as I can stick or glue on.

my truck has a slider. My buddy’s had a solid rear window. Huge difference.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would stick to a solid window. On a regular cab the slider window eventually leaks and loses the sealing properties and you get whistle and rattle right by your head. It also doesn’t fully seal against outside noise. It’s annoying as heck. when I refurbish my truck it’s getting a solid rear window and as much sound deadening material as I can stick or glue on.
This^^^
The difference in noise with sliders that fit GMT400’s and 800’s vs solid windows is noticeable. My 96 has a slider, my 97 has a solid. My 06 has a slider, my 01 has a solid.
If/when I feel like spending the money the sliders will be replaced with solid windows…….

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is there a good 3 piece that dosent leak? i have a non ac truck in tx so i need an openable window
I prefer the 3 pc slider to the 4 pc. Go with a good brand like CR Laurance and you will not have leak issues. Cheap ones leak, as expected. I have installed many and had many that do not leak. The one in one of my trucks is a GM that I got from a junkyard. If I run the pressure washer at 3000psi and direct the water upward a few inches from the seal , I can get a dribble inside. Bone dry to anything mother nature offers.
Go talk to your local glass company. I rarely install anymore because they provide quality glass installed at a good price.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3 piece is easier to break into. Then again the door handles don't really stop a thief either.
Oh yeah, you would have to remind me........Lost a Colt Trooper .22 thanks to that style of slider window. These days that friggin' revolver woulf be worth almost as much as the average GMT400.......

Vroom

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw out there that I have an NOS sliding rear glass. I’m willing to part with it but not giving it away as I’ll probably want it someday. Still in GM box but hoping not to ship (northeastern NJ here).

Selling here

Shawtbed96

Reaction score
I cut my rear glass out of my ‘96 rcsb last year and put in a C.R. Laurence slider. It hasn’t leaked. I really like it so far. Mine is the 3 pane glass
Did you use the regular ck rear gasket?