So Am I Being a "Cheap Skate"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive really wanted the Dakota Digital VHX gauge pod for my truck and Im trying to talk myself in to it. But now I find out that for an auto if you want a gear indicator you have to buy another module.
That will take the price for the package to above $900 + install which I'm guessing will be in the $400 range.
Im not a rich guy so that's a lotta dough to me, got me thinking my set up now is just fine but you know how it is when you want something.
What say you guys??
Bobby V
Here's what I have now

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cough up squeak, LMAO! I'm a little confused, my digital gauges use the OE gear shift indicator and idiot lights, high beam, SES, turn signals, etc. Maybe yours if different? Anyway, ditch those moonies and get some good looking ones, everything else on your truck sparkles so...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for the moonies too, but I agree that the Dakota Digital cluster would look really nice.

It's definitely a lot of money but I say do what makes you happy!

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cough up squeak, LMAO! I'm a little confused, my digital gauges use the OE gear shift indicator and idiot lights, high beam, SES, turn signals, etc. Maybe yours if different? Anyway, ditch those moonies and get some good looking ones, everything else on your truck sparkles so...

Damn Pete you are feeling frisky tonite bro …..
Yeah they confirmed that you lose the gear indicator when you install the new pod but for a measly $109 I can then add another module that indicates the gear selection in the NEW POD, I guess its there all along ???? Just need to add this other item, hell I don't know, oh and I would get the analog package if that matters ??
So much to do :(:D
Bobby V
PS
I gotta get that ALDL cable, that Cat, detail my engine compartment, oh so much to do but Momma has me doing Honeydoos at present, rebuilding our palapa, built a storage shed (liked to kill me at my age). I move a lot slower nowadays lol ;)

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic but how did you mount that gauge pod? I want to add a temp gauge there but i cant bring my self to drill holes in the "A Pillar" piece .

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I mean, if I had a factory 110mph moonie cluster I'd keep it there.. I wouldn't waste money on DD's stuff myself. For the moonie trucks I've owned, I just put that 1990.5 unicorn cluster in and called it good.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic but how did you mount that gauge pod? I want to add a temp gauge there but i cant bring my self to drill holes in the "A Pillar" piece .

It goes over the existing OEM pillar as I remember