Snow driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
mine is 350 auto 4x4 and does great with the exception of the stiff spot in the throttle right at the top so takin off real easy in snow and ice is a little harder but even it bein a one wheel wonder it does fine, ive got like new cooper at3's they do good enough for now as for slidin when brakin i do that for fun no abs on my truck and i usually do it when i first get on a road to see how bad it is, also 1998k1500 you said your duelers do good i was suprised by them my dad just bought a 2013 silverado with them on it i figured his wouldnt do as good but i was let down, no pullin pops outta the ditch this year :gr_grin::gr_grin: but then again with all that new technology on them new fancy trucks

You can call me Chris. Yeah those tires have been great for me so far on regular street driving and snow. I haven't tried them off road but I can certainly see why they come stock on the z71s - overall great tires. They look good too

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
great with the exception of the stiff spot in the throttle right at the top

This^

The trickiest thing about driving these trucks smooth- mastering the resistance in the pedal. It was driving me nuts when i first got my truck as it is my first vehical, i thought all cars had this until i drive a 2004 yukon- what a difference a few years can make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I f'n hate snow:

You must be registered for see images attach

Snow driving here is everywhere you go....this is why everything in my truck has to be top quality and work perfectly. I'm in 4x4 more than out of it.

This is also why I run damned near heated everything. From wiper fluid and squirters to mirrors and seats. Which is also why I have to run dual alternators.

Driveway is 8+ foot banks, the lawns have 4-5 feet of snow on them. The malls have completely disappeared behind their snow banks. You could take your hands off the steering wheel and the truck would go right down the road sliding on the snow banks.

and that has already happened once this winter and melted back to the grass, then dumped again to where it is now. Step off a trial in the woods and you sink up to your armpits.

**** winter.

Last edited:

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
I f'n hate snow:

You must be registered for see images attach

Snow driving here is everywhere you go....this is why everything in my truck has to be top quality and work perfectly. I'm in 4x4 more than out of it.

This is also why I run damned near heated everything. From wiper fluid and squirters to mirrors and seats. Which is also why I have to run dual alternators.

Driveway is 8+ foot banks, the lawns have 4-5 feet of snow on them. The malls have completely disappeared behind their snow banks. You could take your hands off the steering wheel and the truck would go right down the road sliding on the snow banks.

and that has already happened once this winter and melted back to the grass, then dumped again to where it is now. Step off a trial in the woods and you sink up to your armpits.

**** winter.

:word: same here

Sent from my finally running z71

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
More snow predicted here Tuesday and Wednesday in New Jersey so it's still winter to me... Slowly warming back up from being consistently in the teens though.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had quite a bit of snow here in pa (compared to recent winters) and my truck didn't do too bad. The h/t tires suck but it does ok. I had the bed full of heavy snow and ice so I'd imagine at least 300 lbs back there. The rclb is probably the worst weight distribution you can have so the weight helped. I got to drive and play a bit in the snow and I didn't find it necessary to use 4x4 unless I had to go up any sort of incline from a stop.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Great white where do u live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just north of you. Prince Edward Island, IIRC.

My '98 @ 4\6 & 235\60-15 summers, a gov-lock, auto, & 4-500lbs. of ballast, was a blast in the snow up until it got to about 6" deep. Then it became a snow-plow. But up until that point, was just too much fun to hang the ass-end out for 1\2 a block!
The '97 @ 2\4, open dif, on 275\60-15 summers & a stick, is so-so. Drifts to the right better than to the left. Turning circles are fun! Second gear, nose pointed to the center of the circle, hangin' the tail out! No-one around? Let's go round twice! Woo-hoo!
New 15" tires are on back-order, so the '97 is on the 20's right now. The 45psi those need doesn't help the snow handlin'. And they're summer's only, too. The extra weight of those tires & wheels plus the one wheel peel, makes for interesting stopping, if\when I can get the truck rolling! Don't like to drop the psi. 40 series tires don't have much sidewall to begin with. Gotta protect those rims. Bad enough that they're on the truck this time of year anyhow!
I pull the ABS fuse in the winter.
I was taught that when driving in snow to use the go-pedal as if there is a raw egg between your foot & the pedal.
That's always worked pretty good, but it's fun just to mash it every now & then, too!