First Snow Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ Yep

Everything he said except the actuator is for the front diff not the T-case.

But yea, go and have some fun in an empty parking lot!! That is by far the best way to learn how a vehicle can handle the weather your dealing with... whether its a Prius, or Truck, or Tank, lol.

During bad weather the first thing I do when I get on a road without somebody in front or behind me is slam on the breaks and then floor the throttle just to know where my circle of traction lays.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ Yep

But yea, go and have some fun in an empty parking lot!! That is by far the best way to learn how a vehicle can handle the weather your dealing with... whether its a Prius, or Truck, or Tank, lol.

During bad weather the first thing I do when I get on a road without somebody in front or behind me is slam on the breaks and then floor the throttle just to know where my circle of traction lays.
My bad and thanks for the correction! Totally meant the front differential..:anitoof: The thermal actuators have a tendency to engage slowly...if they even work at all. If the truck has hardly been put into 4wd, there is a good chance it might fail. That being said, I had one on an older GM truck and it worked fine, but I used 4wd a ton all year. Not saying it won't work, I just wanted to make you aware of the issue and the easy upgrade available. Most people find out it doesn't work when they go to engage 4wd in the snow... good times!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the BFG's in 1976 or 1977. Back then they were called BF Goodrich Radial All-Terrain TA's. Right after I bought them we were going thru a creek and I cut the sidewall's on two of them. I called their headquarters and the gentleman I spoke to said they would not only replace the two with sidewall damage but all four of them. I think the ones I bought were two ply sidewalls and the replacements were four ply. They lasted over 45,000 miles and still had tread on them. I sold them and the wheels they were on to a local guy. I don't know how many miles he got out of them.
The first set on my K5 were BFG Radial all terrain TA 32x11.5 on ten inch american racing rims.
that was in about 1994 or so.
The ten inch rim kept the sidewall pretty stiff and verticle even at low psi.
I accidently launched that thing pretty much off of a cliff in Mexico so hard that both front seats broke when we landed.
My friend Keith went out the passenger side door because the striker bolt broke.
I hit my head on my newly installed non padded roll cage and ended up all scrambeled egg in the bed of the truck from my tool box and 8 cases of broken beer coming loose.
It was a rather high level of tequila stupid.
The tires stayed on the rims.
I was pretty impressed by that and became a BFG fan.
The best part of this is that the US/Mexico border closed at midnight.
After dealing with our brain damage we figured out we had to hual ass 3 hours North to get back across the border.
So we did. The whole ass end of the truck full of broken shards of mexico beer bottles.
Made it back to Scottsdale at about 4 am.
The reason thieves break out the back window on old K5s and Broncos is so they dont have to sit on the glass from a side window when they steal it.
They just crawl over the safety glass.
I didnt have a back window anymore.
I took that out with my head while me and the beer and the tools were rotating around in the back of the truck.
So I woke up the next day bright and early at the crack of 2 in the afternoon and went to see what I had accomplished down in Mexico.
The tailgate was down and their was a blood trail being swarmed by ants that led to the parking spot next to the truck.
the bed of the truck looked like a murder scene.
Some of the blood was still semi liquid.
Not quite Jello yet.
Some dope tried to steal that old K-5 and faceplanted on all of those broken chunks of Mexico beer bottles.
I found his bloody bent baseball cap in the truck.
Broken chunks of bloody Corona bottles behind the truck
He got stuck and cut and shredded.
It was awesome.
Somewhere, some hacked to hell car thief had to teach his car thief kids to steal a flashlight first.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ Yep

That is really good advice.
Go find a parking lot and see how it reacts and how it stops and slides..
Any pickup tends to ass swap pretty quick if you stab the brakes.
Knowing what it will do is a huge advantage.
I do believe that people who are used to driving modern cars with all of the vehicle assist tech may not have the driving skills that we have.
Not because we are genious road racers or anything but because we grew up with big heavy crap brake cars and trucks.
Hell, Traction control meant you had to get three other people to go to the bar with you so they could push the car when you got stuck.
But, I have no idea about what to do with the touch screen multi level menus on a modern car.
There is a disconnect between what younger people know how to do and what older people now how to do.
In a way, it is an inverse of technical knowledge.
I can not take a brand new bone stock BMW and do a 13 second quater mile.
It will do it for sure.
But I cant do it because I dont understand the technollogy of how to do it.
But I could rip low 13s in my 69 Roadrunner all day long.
I think that younger people are so used to technollogy that it is hard from them to wrap thier minds around how primative these systems are.
But, just like the 30s fords and the tri five chevys and the muscle cars and the square bodies.
About ten years from now. Somebody is going to put together a bolt in all inclusive package for a gmt400.
A real plug and play system.
And us old farts will snarf that up like catnip.
The pumpkin asking for advice today, may turn out to be the guy you buy parts from tommorrow.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
If you do happen to encounter deeper snow 8” plus keeps your wheels straight more power isn’t always the answer! It’s MOMENTUM!!!! Lol but it’s about actually getting to where your headed not how fast you can get there! Especially if you new never driven in snow best thing is find a empty parking lot and go do some driving around and braking is not always the best either if your in 4x4 the truck will naturally slow down way faster than not and the friction of the snow will also slow you down light braking into regular and while in lot see how it takes off with a good romping on the pedal and going slow so you know what to expect as far as traction and getting up to speed but that will give you some good quality quick ways of exploring your truck in snow without too much risk of others

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
And your tires look good but a good set of all terrain tires will be best and not like your going to get better mileage with highway tires on lol hankook atm’s are really good I had a set for 8ish years pirelli scorpions plus’ are good too! Or bf Goodrich’s but they $$$ more than other two

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And your tires look good but a good set of all terrain tires will be best and not like your going to get better mileage with highway tires on lol hankook atm’s are really good I had a set for 8ish years pirelli scorpions plus’ are good too! Or bf Goodrich’s but they $$$ more than other two
Yep, the BFGs are spendy for sure.
But the Duratracs are about another 500 bucks or so.
They are not worth the howl and noise on a daily driver.
Really good offroad tires.
Horrible awfull daily use tires.
Everybody who tries to tell you that they are just all in love with Duratracs is just somebody who hasnt put any real road miles on them.
They are great in the mud.
They kinda suck in powder snow.
They are okay kinda okay on powder covered ice..
They really suck for a daily.
They are really friggen loud.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT
3-Peak Mountain Snowflake
Designed to be quiet. And they are too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: