First Snow Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2s are "three-peak mountain" rated for snow use and do great in the snow. I run them on both of my '97s and I've been extremely impressed. Very low road noise too considering how aggressive the tread pattern is. I was expecting them to howl on the highway but they really don't at all. On the expensive side for sure, but they've impressed me so much that I'm going to keep running them indefinitely as long as BFG keeps making them. Plus they do look cool. :cool:
Yep. I always end going back to BFG all terrains
I used to live in Scottsdale and we would take my K-5 to Rocky Point (Mexico) a couple of times a month.
But we also had a cabin up near Flagstaff.
The BFGs did great in the snow but I could also air them down to about 28 psi and run them pretty aggresively on the beach without peeling them off the rim.
And then use them as daily drivers and they were still quiet.
I used to have 285/75/16 Duratracs on my k2500 and they really worked well for the snow/ice/ mud we get in Seattle and they lasted forever.
But, as others have mentioned. When they wear and if they wear unevenly due to worn steering or suspension parts.
They are annoyingly loud.
And that is the problem.
You end up with really expensive tires that will make your teeth rattle but you cant get rid of them because they were so expensive and they refuse to wear out.
They are great offroad tires.
It is the highway drive getting to the offroad that makes them just about impossible to live with.
Nothing in my experiance howls quite like a cupped set of Duratracs.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the BFG's in 1976 or 1977. Back then they were called BF Goodrich Radial All-Terrain TA's. Right after I bought them we were going thru a creek and I cut the sidewall's on two of them. I called their headquarters and the gentleman I spoke to said they would not only replace the two with sidewall damage but all four of them. I think the ones I bought were two ply sidewalls and the replacements were four ply. They lasted over 45,000 miles and still had tread on them. I sold them and the wheels they were on to a local guy. I don't know how many miles he got out of them.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote here for BFG's, HOWEVER, I'm absolutely appalled to hear that anywhere in Arizona gets snow!! I suppose next I'll hear that smog testing is a thing of the past......

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like everyone says, BFG TA K02 tires are the best IMO. I can personally assure you that those tires are the best for snow. If you have a G80 locking rear end (and it works) its actually really nice to have in snow and ice. It will engage and give you more traction. Honesty, these trucks when equipped properly are pretty awesome in the snow. I drive mine in the snow all the time up here in Washington State. Snow is a blast. One major issue you might want to address is your thermal actuator that engages your transfer case. There is a dorman kit you can get via amazon, but if a shop is working on your transmission, I would highly recommend installing this upgrade to the electric version. The thermal actuators tend to fail and leaves you in 2wd no matter what you do. https://www.lmctruck.com/1992-99-chevy-gmc/csd-1988-98-4wd-actuator-harness-upgrade

Lastly, if you don't know how to drive in the snow, go tear it up in a parking lot and get a feel for spinning and recovering it. Just like Doc said to Lightning McQueen, if you feel your self slipping or spinning, turn right to go left... or something like that :) Downshifting is your friend, keep the RPMs up higher by shifting the trans, and use that to help you slow down too. Using your brakes, especially hard, will make you loose control and spin. Seriously, spend some time in a parking lot and just get nuts with your truck in the snow. That's the best place to learn.

Good luck and have fun!