Snow driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realize its not offroading, but whats your feedback on driving your gmt400 in the snow?

Figured with the snow were expirencing here in nee york not going away anytime soon there has to be some love/hate relationships out there, and i bet a good story or two. I see many sclb plow trucks around, and my 93 c1500 loves this stuff. Short bed with 500 lbs back there, a 305 upfront and 3.42s on brand new general 31x10.5 r15, she hasent let me down in the 2 winters weve gone through, the first one on tires which failed inspection. This year with the new tires ive done some mild offroading with half frozen puddles and snow covering the trails. Easy to drive and easy to recover, i love driving this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Mine all do awesome i do go offroading in the snow with them and i LOVE Drifting around town

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have driven all my trucks in winter and I will say that my current truck with an auto with G80 is the king in my collection for winter driving. It has garbage tires and still is tons better than my 97 5speed one wheel wonder when it had brand new Blizzaks. they are all fun to drive. when I had my 97 I lived neer some roundabouts and man did I enjoy those! the ccsb does the best and biggest donuts though.

EDIT: they were all 2wd. frequently passing 4x4s and awds in the ditch.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My favorite thing to do is turn around my truck instead of doing 3 point turns by just goosing the throttle

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
My trucks done great this winter. Makes it through anything, its a 4x4 of course. My tires are awesome in the snow though, I haven't slid while braking at all

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being a 2wd automatic standard cab short bed open diff with 500lbs in the bed, my truck takes off decent. You hit the nail on the head though- im not on winter tires so stopping is a *****. My tires are brand new- so that helps a little. But very little front weight + upgraded brakes + all seasons = sliding to stops. I put a proportoning valve in my brake line just to give it more rear bias for winter, but those 31's out front still lock up very easily. I often use the e brake along with the regular brake just to give it more of a 50/50 braking ratio as every tire has similar amounts of grip on snow

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I run Bridgestone Duelers and they're reviewed excellently for their snow performance so that is a huge help to me. I never brake hard in the snow and I'm sure I'd slide a bit if I did but I'd rather not take any chances

John Boelte

Reaction score
My truck does quite well in the snow. The tires (Dick Cepek AT2s) surprised me at how well they grip the ice - much better than the BFG ATs I had on my other Suburban. The G80 makes a huge difference. Driving through a foot of snow isn't a problem, barely makes a difference, just need a little more throttle to push through.

I've had fun pulling people out of the snow. I like helping out. It's surprising how little effort it takes from my truck.

I give myself plenty of room to stop. I know that just because it goes, doesn't mean it will stop!

I like the Auto 4WD feature. It gives me some peace of mind that when I'm turning on dry pavement I'm stressing my driveline. But when it gets slipery the front axle locks in. When the roads are heavily snow/slush covered I use 4HI.